The Next Test

(Reader's P.O.V.)

    Sometime after I finished eating Infinite entered my new cell. This room as far as I'm concerned is nothing more than a gilded cage. It seems nice on the outside but on the inside, it's nothing but a confining space meant to look like a nice place. I know better than to let my guard down here. "It's time for the next test. I should warn you beforehand that this test will look into your inner desires. If you become trapped by them you will become lost forever. You'll go mad. However, if you manage to overcome your desires through sheer willpower I will share a secret with you. One even Eggman doesn't know about." His voice makes it sound like he's smiling beneath the mask. I'll play along with his game. If I want to find out the truth and escape this place, I have no other choice but to keep moving forward. He leads me back into the room from the first test. A purple cube floats into my vision and my surroundings change once again. This time I see the things I want most. An end to the war, to see my friends again, to be free again. All this around me feels real but I know it isn't. Still, I kind of want to stay here. What good is the real world if the fake one is better? "You can't stay in this place. You know that." Infinite? Why do I hear Infinite? "You know this place isn't real. If you stay here you'll be doing exactly what he wants. Fight back! Don't you want to stop me? If you remain here I'll destroy everything! Your hopes, your dreams, everything you love and care about! I'll destroy all of it! If you want that, keep living in an illusion! I'll be waiting for when you decide to wake up." Somehow, despite the way he was speaking, it feels like he's trying to save me. But why? What would he gain? Shaking myself out of my thoughts, I hold the glowing rock to my chest and say, "This isn't real." The illusion suddenly shatters and I see Infinite. Is it just me, or does he look pissed? "You should not have done that, Zero. You were the last person I expected to do a thing like that. She would've been happy there. No more fears, no more anxieties, no more doubts. Nothing left to worry about. A place of eternal happiness. But you just had to ruin it, didn't you?" "What are you talking about? Who are you talking to?" He seems to notice me and his aura seems to dissipate somewhat. "Ah, forgive me, I should have mentioned this sooner. The one I am speaking to is called Zero. But you know him as Infinite." "W-what? But aren't you Infinite?" He laughs and his aura gives off a frightening vibe. "Why my dear the one you speak to now is none other than the Phantom Ruby."