Chapter Four

Steve's POV

As we entered the shop the bell above the door rang, and a woman by the cashier looked up at us. It was a small shop in Brooklyn, old clocks and watches on display. There were counters filled with necklaces and earrings from Bucky’s and my time and framed pictures of old newspapers involving the shop along with pictures of us and the commandos.

“Is that James Barnes?” A shaky voice filled the silent air, and Bucky looked towards it.

“And the Captain?” The man said, and I smiled over at him.

“How’re you doing Dugan?” I smiled, and he nodded.

“Well once I retired my granddaughter looped me into the jewelry business, but I’m still kicking it, so I think I’m fine.” Dugan smiled, and Bucky and him shared a hug.

“Well, what can I get you boys today?” Dugan wondered, clasping his hands together.

“A ring.” Bucky’s voice came out in his breath, and I placed my hands on his shoulders squeezing lightly. 

“Beverly?” Dugan turned to look at the woman. “Can you get the rings?”

The woman nodded and came back just as quickly as she left with two black boxes. She placed them on the glass countertop, and Dugan thanked her before clicking them both open. Inside was an array of different rings.

“These are just models, once you select one I can show you stones.” Berverly’s voice was silky and calm, and Bucky’s shoulders seemed to loosen.

“I’ll give you space.” I patted Bucky’s back, seeing the way that Bucky was staring at the rings like he was deciding the fate of the world, and maybe this decision was? 

I remember it being that way with Tony. I had no idea if he would say yes or not, and I knew that if he said the latter that I would have died right then and there. Plus half of the proposal is the ring, and even if it is a sympile ring, you know it has to be perfect. 

I sat down on the small bench, and I pulled out my phone. A few hours past of Bucky staring at the rings, and in that time I got two calls from Tony, and a call from Kelsey’s school about how she needed to be taken home because she was sick. I called Bruce, and he said that he could take her home --thank God for Bruce Banner. I was currently looking down at my watch, worrying as it closer and closer to Peggy’s nap time.

“Hey, Buck. How’s it going?” I stood up and walked over to Bucky.

He was currently messing with the fingers of his metal hand, pulling them far enough back that a regular finger would break before he put it back in place. I placed my hand between his shoulder blades, and Bucky jumped at the contact.

“Hey.” I said holding up my hands, and Bucky sighed shaking his head.

“It has to be perfect.” He murmured, and I smiled.

“Just as perfect as her?” I asked knowing just what he was feeling. 

“Yes.” He breathed out, and I looked down at my wedding ring.

“Which are the ones that your eyes looked at first?” I wondered, and Bucky shook his head.

“I dunno Steve.” He murmured, and I looked at the rings.

“Well, close your eyes, and then open them and tell me which rings you see first.” I instructed, and Bucky followed my orders.

He closed his eyes, opened them, and scanned the rings. He then pointed to two, and Beverly took them out holding them out for Bucky. The first was a black ring that’s stone was surrounded by a black rose and matching leaves. The next was a black ring that had two point shoes pointing towards it.