Chapter Seven

Kelsey's POV

“Rise and shine.” I heard someone singing in my ear, and I swatted Cayman’s face away.

“Shut up.” I muttered.

“But my diamond earring fell out in the ocean.” Cayman whimpered.

“You need to stop watching the Kardashians,” I muttered, turning as much as my leg would let me into Cameron’s side.

“You know I watch them purely for meme content.” Cayman argued.

“Lair.” I muttered, and I heard him huff.

“Well, get up. We’re in Nigeria.”

I slowly sat up with a groan, and I smacked my lips before opening my eyes. The cabin lights were on, and my book was placed face down in my lap. I started to bend forward, and Cayman leaned in to grab my bag. He handed it to me, and I placed my book in before turning to look at Cameron. Her eyes were still closed, and I softly shook her shoulder. She lifted one of her hands to swat mine away, and I giggled before rocking her shoulder again. She opened her left eye to look at me, and I raised my hands. I pointed to the floor not quite sure what “here” in ASL was, and Cameron let out a soundless yawn before lifting her arms to stretch. She then grabbed her belongings, and I looked up as Mr. Nace stood. 

“Okay class, get your stuff and let’s head to the hotel.” He announced, and Cameron stood after I signed what he said.

Cayman helped me stand, and I hobbled out of the plane. When we all got inside the airport, Mr. Nace did a headcount, and he nodded. His phone chimed, and he looked down.

“Okay, our bus driver is here.” He announced, and we all followed him to the front of the airport. 

Outside I saw our bus driver standing in front of a bus. He was a shorter man with dark skin and a thick beard. He smiled at our class, and Mr. Nace walked forward and started talking to the man. Kitty wandered over to Cameron, Cayman, and me, and I raised an eyebrow.

She crossed her arms with a yawn, and I glanced at Cayman.

She’s probably going to say something stupid. Cameron signed.

I made my hands into a fist moving my wrist up and down, and Cayman ran a hand through his hair.

“Are you excited?” I whispered to him, and he nodded, a smile hinting on his face. 

“I haven’t seen Mama in a while. She wasn’t there the last time I visited. She had to go do something because Baba died.” Cayman answered, and I rubbed his back.

“Are you gonna be okay?” I asked.

“Of course. I get to make fun of T’Challa for ten days.” He winked, and I chuckled lowly as Mr. Nace turned around.

“Everyone, this is Mr. B'Gakon Thezo,” Mr. Nace butchered B’Gakon’s name, and Cayman muttered the pronunciation under his breath. 

“He will be driving us to our hotel and to Wakanda.” Mr.Nace continued with a smile, and he nodded once all of us gave small waves or muttered tired hellos. 

“Great,” he clapped his hands together. “Let us go.” 

The class climbed into the bus from the stairs, and B’Gakon opened the back to let me use the ramp. As I got into my seat, I saw B’Gakon place his arms on his chest in an “x” in front of Cayman. Cayman copied the gesture, and B’Gakon whispered something in isiXhosa. Cayman smiled before giving me a blank look, and I winked back at him after sitting in my seat.