#31 Raise the Dead

He's counting his scars again. He can't really help it. Each one is sick and beautiful to him in its own way. Red has lots of scars all over his skin.
     The assassin is truly twisted in more ways then one. Any intelligence Red shows is vastly outweighed by his frequent trips to the deep end.
     It couldn't of always been this way, but these feelings are all that Red remembers. The cheering of the crowds screaming for blood still echos in his ears. His momma is still screaming him on as more bets are placed. The whip's hateful crack still reminds him to crawl back into the dark.
     No, Red has never been stable. This whole deal with the soldiers is just another game. Ian, maybe Sky, and a few others would probably stop killing with a pardon, but Red can't stop. Surly Barney knows that.
     After all, he was the one that led the castle soldiers to that underground fighting pit. Barney's seen Red tear into another human being like an animal. There is no redemption for him.
     Red giggles at the grim knowledge in his office. He hasn't done much of anything all day. It's been the scars and the thoughts and the blood. He's sinking farther every day.
His mind is starting to creep in. This entire manor is starting to feel like another cage. If he doesn't try and get rid of it, he feels like he's gonna snap just like he did as his brief time as a soldier. The responsibility was too much then, and this is becoming worse. This game is no longer fun. It's time to set up the pieces for the next round.
A knock at the door finally drags him out of the hazy fog. It opens without his permission, and Red flings a dagger out of his sleeve. Ian blocks it with the the blade of his sword, stopping the dagger from implying his chest.
     "I did knock this time", Ian looks from the dagger.
     "Yes, and I aimed for your stomach instead of your face", Red smiles back, "You didn't wait for me to say 'come in' like all the lords do".
     Red is no sniveling lord. He's more cunning and dangerous then any estate owner. And he knows it. While Ian keeps talking, Red distractedly walks his fingered across the desk in some sort of demented dance. Ian is used to this kind of behavior and doesn't even bat an eye at it.
     "Sky's still training that loud mouthed soldier, but he almost got himself killed in this last battle", Ian gives his report. He's been watching the 5th army camp all this time. Sky even stared right at him once or twice.
     "And all the squids in that base burned?", Red hums. He has connections everywhere, and nothing much gets passed him.
"Dan is there. That's actually why I came to report a day early", Ian diverts his eyes from Red.
The assassin King stops moving for a moment. That name brings back such raw anger that he nearly implodes. Dan Dan Dan. Someone who new where he was before the roaring crowds and blood. The only reason that Dan isn't dead is because of his involvement with the common people. The army would never stand a chance if he suddenly disappeared. For a moment, Red still considers it.
"It seems that all the players are returning to the board", Red eventually replies. He once again starts to play with his hands.
      "Your contact in Kyladia says that the troops are assembling. The half Zemrlt and the bodyguard were able to recover their codes and send a message threw Barney's ships".
"Really? That fast? I would've thought Sky would break first", Red sits back in his seat. Does Sky really think that the crime Lord wouldn't of recognized royalty? It's his job to know everything about everyone.
In reality, it's insane to think how similar Sky and Red actually are. The prince had his castle, the poor child had his fighting pit. Red saw it it Sky's eyes that day; the old snapped and pulverized behind something colder and stronger. Red was younger, and older now. There's little chance that he would ever be able to take off that mask. But Sky still can if he really wanted to. All the pieces seem to be coming together for him. Nothing ever worked out like that for Red. He's angry for that.
      "I don't know all the happened to you, Ian. But everyone knows about me", Red sits up, "What do you want to do when this is all over?". Ian is caught off guard by the question. It's a perfectly valid question, and that's why it's so unexpected coming from Red.
"Well.... I don't know. This kind of life is the only thing I've ever known", he answers while looking away, "I can't really see myself settling down on a farm or something, but....... I think I'd like to give it a chance".
"A chance, huh? That's an option now, isn't it? How strange. I would've thought that a few more people would've had to die first", Red lets his hands fall on the desk like rag dolls, "Ian, go get the others, won't you? The assassins are going to war".