#7 Of the Zemrlt

Sub is a human who grew up amongst the Zemrlt in Liblicen. It was very strange in the beginning, but now Sub acts more Zemrlt then human. He's even learned the sign language and rarely speaks.
Sub doesn't remember his parents very well. He only gets vague impressions of their voices. The most clear, early memory he has is of meeting Don, a Zemrlt prince. Don had found Sub when he was only four and he was five. The human was pinned underneath a series of tree branches. Don managed to wiggle him out after finding that Sub was still alive.
     The two were attached at the hip after that. Not being able to spell his name, Sub's name was shortened to just the three letters. Zemrlt Royalty are usually the only ones to have one syllable names, but Don could be more stubborn then even the worst thick-headed mule.
     Sub and Dan grew as close as brothers to each other. The prince would do all the things expected of him, with the human right at his side. Sub is like a trusted advisor to Don, but without the formalities.
Sub took on the training of a Zemrlt warrior. After some time, it became apparent that he was quiet clumsy with a spear. It was Don's idea for him to try daggers. Sub could use the daggers much more easily then a spear. They also didn't break Zemrlt tradition like a sword would. Bodyguards to royalty often had knives for quicker combat.
     Don's father, the Zemrlt King, was being pushed to join the war by both sides. Many of the King's advisors agreed that the Squid hybrids alone would not be able to defeat GoldenEye. It's better to stay neutral and not make and enemy out of either of the kingdoms.
      The King's brother has been on the continent trying to explain this all to the GoldenEye King. After twelve years, it was finally decided that Len would come back to Liblicen until the war ended. His son would also come and see their homeland for the first time.
     As far as Jason was concerned, Don and Sub were both his cousins. The three often met when Len was escorted between continents.
     The prince and his human brother are taking one last trip for the forceable future. Don's excited to show Jason his world, but remorseful for the war that he can't help win. Sub thinks that it's better to get Len and Jason back to safety. There's always a small chance that they could be used as leverage.
Sub is thankful to have solid ground beneath his feet after stepping off of the boat. The ship makes him seasick, though Don is the only one who sees it behind Sub's expression. Don thinks it's hilarious. Sub hates that he gets seasick and Zemrlt never do.
     "At least you didn't throw up this time!", Don says in the Zemrlt sign language. Most Zemrlt rarely use their voice, favoring hand signals. Don is a relatively average height for his species at 5'9. His pasty skin, gray eyes, and external ribs mark him for what he is. Don's face is covered by a colorful mask, with just his eyes showing. It's a tradition for Zemrlt in the direct line of royalty to wear the masks.
"And the sleeping quarters were terrific", Sub signs back with evident sarcasm. They'll both smell like fish for weeks. Len and Jason have no idea that they're coming, as this is a stealth mission. They couldn't dock in an extravagant, royal boat. A fishing barge offered to take them across the ocean.
      Don's face is covered, but Sub can almost feel his smirk. The Zemrlt prince uses a hooded cape to hide his mask. Sub is dressed plainly, with enough weapons up his sleeves for the both of them.
     Don has been trained like an honorable prince, and the he's well suited to the task. Sub's training is different. He's skilled with knives and hand-to-hand combat, not above stabbing someone in the back to protect Don. The human's skill set is closer to an assassin then an actual soldier.
     Sub has always thought himself inferior to Don. He loves him like a brother, but Don is so good compared to him. The Zemrlt would be horrified if he knew the things that Sub had done by order of his King or to protect the prince. Don's morals will make him a great king some day, but Sub will always be in the shadows, doing what Don is too good to do. And he excepts those facts.
     It wasn't very hard for the pair to leave the island undetected and undocumented. Sub made sure of that. He knows just how to act and move to stay under the radar. The human excels when working in the shadows. They got to the capital within a few days.
     "Follow me and stay close", Sub signs. Don nods softly. The two don't even need the sign language to communicate anymore. Body language is enough for them to read the other like a book.
Sub is a little weary of the other humans that they pass on the streets. He only knows what he's seen; the war and the poverty stricken streets.
    Don nudges his friend down another ally. Despite his oblivious and moral reputation, the Zemrlt Prince isn't stupid. He knows how Sub thinks of himself. They're too close not to notice those kinds of things. Don sees it when Sub belittles himself.
     "The palace is just around the corner", Sub signs, peaking out of the alley. The walls around the city make him feel claustrophobic. The castle gates don't make it any better. Multiple side entrees for servants are concealed around the outside of the building. That's their way in.
Sub works quickly, tying his sleeves up oh his shoulders. He completes the disguise by ruffling up his hair and carrying a small basket of fruit. They confiscated a few things on the way to the castle. Don is still covered by the cloak, but now he pulls a hand cart behind Sub. They both look like servants of different rank.
     The guard at the castle entrance lets them pass without a word. Sub almost scoffs at how easy it was. Shouldn't security be a little tighter during a war? That's exactly how a bribed guard would......
     The small passage is full of armed soldiers. Sub and Don both freeze in their tracks. Worse, the soldiers aren't human. The squids are all armored, swords drawn to storm into the next castle passage.
     Don's hand twitches in a sloppy 'Oh shit' kind of signal right before all hell breaks loose. Sub draws a pair of daggers and tosses one to the prince before the first squid attacks them. Sub ducks under their sword, stabbing the squid in the shoulder and stepping back.
      "Get back to the ship!", he hastily signs. Don hesitates and stares at his brother for a good three seconds. The Zemrlt Prince would never willingly leave Sub behind. Yet, his life is more important. Don has a responsibility to his people and country. Anyone of his soldiers would trade their lives for his. It doesn't make it hurt any less when Don turns and bolts back outside.
Sub uses his dagger to block the first squid's blade, getting it caught on the handle. He pulls the sword to the side and punches straight for the face. The blow lands solidly on the squid's face.
     Despite his best efforts, Sub really stood no chance against an entire hall full of enemies. He's quickly beaten down and restrained.
     That's where he was when the castle fell. Sub was there while the royal family was slaughtered and Don escaped. He endured the days tied to the wooden pole and receiving the slave's brand. All with a grim silence.
Sub was in one of the wagons that were attacked. He tackled down the squid outside, stole their sword, and ran off into the trees. Sub wasn't thinking straight at the time. All he knew to do was get away and back to his brother.
      He couldn't run for long without meeting anyone else. At least a hundred people had escaped in the attack, and soldiers of the same number were retreating into the forest.
      Sub sharply inhales when he trips and goes crashing onto the ground. He scrambles to hold the stolen sword out in front of him. Someone yells in pain, mostly from Sub tripping over their leg.
      "S-Stay away. I'm armed", they growl in an attempt to look strong. Sub can't help but notice the large amount of blood flowing from the soldier's wound. They're short, with black hair and a dirty uniform.
     Sub cocks his head. The wound isn't fatal, but could easily get infected. He moves closer to the soldier and rips off a good portion of one side of his pants.
     Vikk is immediately thrown off by his silence. They aren't a squid, but not a soldier. Both of them are a tad uncomfortable as Sub tightly wraps Vikk's bleeding leg. It's surprising that he got that far without collapsing.
Sub's not sure why he cared to help that day. Maybe it's because the soldier was just as lost as him. Vikk had to lean on him for support in order to even stand. Even with someone injured, it's not safe for him to be on his own.
That first morning in the cave they had slept in was proof of that. Vikk woke up early to try and leave sooner, but Sub couldn't wake up. He hadn't slept for nearly three days since he was tied to the pole for two.
Sub spent almost all his time with the Liblicen prince. That gives him plenty of opportunities to murder Don. Even through he'd never do it, the kingdom takes precautions. The palace staff receives much less potent versions of the drug that keeps Sub asleep. It's almost impossible for him to wake up before the sun is fully risen.
    Even with the language barrier, both of them knew how to read. Vikk had no clue where the troops were heading after the attack. Sub knew that Don would be long gone by now. His best bet would be to stay here and fight. Liblicen would surely join the war after all this? The squids could be going there next.
    The two only stuck together because there was no one else to trust. Both needed to find the GoldenEye troops for their own goals. It proved to be easier said then done.
     Sub knows enough about the streets to be able to find all the right people. Vikk was obviously shocked to see this darker side of his country. Not to mention the squids changing everything.
     It took a month before they got any leads. A defected soldier turned assassin. It was no guarantee that they knew anything at all, but it was the best they had.
     Tracking down Red's history was surprisingly easy. Everything except his real name. Any who knew were dead. He grew up in a child betting ring. Kids, usually picked up off the street or from orphanages, were set against each other. Winner got to live. Red's obvious mental instability wasn't discovered unlit after he had been rescued for a few months. He killed everyone in his branch of the barracks, and disappeared.
     The assassin king has eyes everywhere. If anyone knew where there the soldiers were, it would be him. Red almost killed the two on the spot. Only the mention of the soldiers, and an intense mood swing, made him hesitate. The Deader wouldn't tell either of them what he knew.
     "A promise. It's a promise I made", he said with a twisted grin. Red offered them a deal instead. Stay at the guild and work for him, and when the time comes, GoldenEye soldiers will eventually show up.
     What other choice did they have? Sub would be killed on the spot by the squids with his hand signs. Vikk was sure that his unit members would come for him. And so they resolved to wait.