Chapter 21

Hugh parks his car in the hospital parking lot. He takes his phone out of his pocket and calls Peter. "So how was it?" Peter asks as he answers the phone. "It was very nice," Hugh says. "That is good to hear. Too bad you missed the game. It was a good one," Peter says. "If you have to choose between a lady and a football game, the lady should always win," Hugh says. "What are you going to do for the rest of the evening?" Peter asks. "I just arrived at the hospital. I want to check in on Sara and then I will most likely just go home," Hugh says. "You and I should go do something," Peter suggests. "Maybe another night," Hugh says. "Okay. Enjoy the rest of your evening," Peter says. "You too," Hugh says and hangs up. Hugh walks towards the reception area. He hopes that he can see Sara, but if he can't he will just get an update. Every time he thinks of her, he sees her lifeless body on the side of the dirt road. He reaches reception and walks up to the desk. It is the same lady that worked on the day Chad was brought in. "Good evening," Hugh says with a smile. "Good evening sir. How can I help you?" she asks. "I am here to see Sara Klein. She was brought in two days ago with a stab wound," Hugh says. "You can't do that sir. It is past visiting hours," she says. Hugh needs to think of a plan. "I found her and brought her in. I just want to see that she is okay. I am really worried about her," Hugh says. "Are you family?" she asks. "No, but I am the detective who worked on her kidnapping case," Hugh says. The lady looks at him intently. "You look familiar. Were you here when her brother was brought in?" she asks. "Yes, my partner and I came here to investigate," Hugh says. "Just give me a few minutes to see what I can do," she says. Hugh gives her a friendly smile. "Thank you," Hugh says and sits down in a chair near the desk. There isn't a lot of people here. Apart from him there is an old couple, a mother and daughter, and a young man sitting a few chairs away from him. "Hugh," a voice says behind him. He looks around and sees Miranda standing behind him. "Hi Miranda," Hugh says. She sits down next to him. "What are you doing here?" she asks. Hugh can see that she is tired. "I was in the area and I thought I could try to see Sara. I just want to see if she looks better than the other day," Hugh says. "She looks a lot better. I think she would really like to see you. She has a few questions for you and Peter. I told her that I would ask you guys to stop by tomorrow," Miranda says. "If I can't get in tonight, Peter and I will come visit her tomorrow morning." Hugh suggests. "Thank you," she says. "No problem. She deserves this," Hugh says. "I have to go home now. Chad is waiting for me," she says. "I will let you know if I see her tonight," Hugh says. "She moved rooms. She is in room B8 now," Miranda says. "Okay," Hugh says. "Bye," she says and gets up. "Goodbye," he says. She leaves the waiting area. "Sir, I talked to her doctor," the receptionist says. He didn't even notice her standing next to him. "He says you can see her for ten minutes, but then you have to leave," she says. "Thank you," Hugh says. "Do you know which room she is in?" she asks. "Yes," Hugh says. "Good. Please don't stay too long," she says. "I promise I won't," Hugh says and walks towards the hallway leading to the wards.

Peter is sitting in his chair watching television when Alice calls him. "How was the date?" Peter asks. "Normally people greet the other person when they answer their phone," Alice says. "There are more important things to talk about than greeting someone," Peter says jokingly. "How do you know about it anyway? Did Hugh tell you?" she asks. "Yes, he did. And no, he didn't call it a date, but I know it was one," Peter says. "It was nice," she says. She knows that Peter will mock her if she admits how much she enjoyed it. "Just nice? For some reason I think you might be lying to me about how nice it was," Peter says. Alice can almost hear his smile. "Fine, he is a really wonderful man, and I really enjoyed his company," she says. "I knew it," Peter says with a hint of satisfaction in his voice. "Don't tell him what I said, please. I don't know how he feels, and I don't want to scare him away if I am too eager," Alice begs. I won't, but I can tell you what he thinks. I bet he thinks that you are the most perfect woman in the world," Peter says. "Stop it! You are making this situation very awkward," Alice says. "That is what friends are for," Peter says. "How are you holding up?" Alice asks, changing the subject. "I'm getting there. Knowing that he is dead is making me calmer. Now I know that this was the last time a girl had to suffer at his hands brings me more peace than I expected," Peter says. "That's good to hear," Alice says. "I jest called to tell you that you were right, and I did what you told me to do," she adds. "I'm glad that you took the leap. It's been a long time since I've seen you like that with a guy," Peter says. "He is much better than the guys in LA," Alice says. "Even better than me?" Peter asks. "You know what I mean," Alice says. "Of course I do. I'm just pulling your leg," Peter says. "I'll leave you alone now," Alice says. "Thank you. I'll see you tomorrow," Peter says. "Goodnight," Alice says. "Night," Peter says before hanging up. Peter looks at the time. He could still catch Hugh at the hospital if he leaves now. He wants to get to know Hugh better after the hospital visit. He grabs his car keys and phone and leaves to go to the hospital.