Chapter 13

Joe's POV

I squint as the sunlight begins to shine brightly into my eyes. I yawn as I sit up in bed, and rub my eyes tiredly. It felt like I was only asleep for a minute, it took ages for me to go to sleep.

I spot my phone and immediately grab it to see if I got a response from Di, I'm desperate to see what she has to say.

D- Hi, things are going okay, hard but things are improving as far as the doctors can tell so far, as they still need to do more x rays and stuff. Also thank you for your kind words, they're so appreciated. I just wanted to quickly say, I'm sorry too, I didn't mean to upset you, I just wasn't thinking straight. You were only trying to be kind and I snapped out at you, you didn't deserve that, so again I'm sorry. Hoping training goes well for you ❤️x

I quickly smile at my phone and text back:

J- Thank you little red, keep me updated with how things are going over there xx

To my surprise, I get an immediate reply.

D- Will do :) xx

I look at the time. 9.36 am. I sigh. I should probably getting to the studio.

I drag myself out of bed, grab a biscuit and a coffee, Chuck on some joggers and a shirt and make my way to the car.

I get to the studio, and see everyone walking around doing their own thing.

Conveniently, the first person I bump into is Kev.

K- Hey Joseph, how are ya doing today, buddy?

J- Alright, thanks.

K- Right, let's sort you out then.

Kev leads me over to one of the producers before Stacey calls him over. He gives me a thumbs up and wave before walking off.

P- Hi Joe-

J- Hi?

P- Okay, so we've been wondering what to do with you, as you have been put in a pretty difficult situation...we were thinking we'd either just skip your dance this week but we don't know quite how that would work so I think we'll get someone to step in for Dianne in your routine, so will you be okay to dance with Chloe?

I turn to see Chloe being gestured to. She smiles and waves, so I return the wave.

J- uh, yeah, sure?

I don't know quite how to feel about this but I guess I'm grateful to be dancing.

Chloe leads me into my normal training room, as I talk her through the routine. She picks up quickly of course, as a professional dancer but it just feels odd.

We work on the footwork a little before getting the basketballs out of the props cupboard. It is now Wednesday, meaning halfway through the week, I still hadn't practised with the balls yet.

Immediately the routine gets ten times harder, and I feel like I'm back to square one. Balls are flying everywhere, and I can't seem to get control.

We keep practising but the timing is all wrong and it's frustrating. I had been doing it wrong consecutively for the last two hours at this point. If this was Dianne, she would've changed it by now, but we can't do that.

I ask Chloe for a break, and I sigh and throw myself onto the sofa.

C- Whats up?

J- (mumbling) nothing.

C- You don't seem yourself today?

J- Just tired. And frustrated.

C- Why frustrated?