Kabanata XVIII

Kabanata XVII

Faith

I was taken a back by what mama said. What was that? 

"How did it happen ma?" naguguluhan ako. Nabuntis agad?

Mama smile sweetly. "Honey, as I said. It was just a rumor. I don't have an intimate interaction with your dad so that was just a plain lie."

"Alam ko ma, Pero bakit ganun ang kumalat? Bakit buntis? Hindi ba nila naisip na ang bata mo pa'nun?" tumango naman ang mama. She seems comfortable with the topic so I'm a bit in relief. Can't imagine mama's humiliation. Damn! She's so young to experience those!

"It was spread in the whole school like a wildfire. I was bullied more." naawa ako kay mama. Bakit kailangan niyang makaranas ng ganun? She's just a kid for god sake!

"I was bullied more, that even teacher looked at me with shame. I tried and tried to defend myself but seems like my power is useless to everyone in school." kita ko ang hirap sa mga mata ni mama. She's young then when everyone threws a knife on her. How can those people believed such lies without bases? Are they all nuts!?

"I got depressed." No! Bakit kailangan makaranas ni mama ng ganun?!

"I don't want to wake up and go to school. They bullied me by word's and... Physically." malakas akong napasinghap. Those people are all idiots!

Bakit kailangan umabot sa ganun?

Ramdam ko ang paghawak ni mama sa aking kaliwang kamay kaya napatingin ako 'dun. Hindi ko napansin na nanginginig na pala ako dahil sa galit at awa'ng naramdaman para kay mama.

"Sina tito ma? Wala ba silang ginawa para tigilan ka na ng kamag-aral mo?" I asked mama.

"Your uncles? They are my savior, the reason why I still wake up in a morning and go to school. I almost forgot that I have my family, I was so naive!"

"Because if I had to choose I will stop my study and go abroad to forget. But your uncles thought me how to fight and to be brave. You see was I bullied physically." Hindi ko na kailangan tanungin kung alam ba nila lolo't lola to dahil obviously kung alam ng lolo't lola to ay baka nalipat na ng paaralan si mama, after all my grandparents are powerful and a protective parents. I experienced it first hand.

"For almost one year I endured everything they do to me. Hanggang sa isang araw naging tahimik ang buhay ko. I didn't know what happened, what did I do? The hurtful words and insults I always got from my schoolmates got vanished, well except for their glares." mama chuckled.

"I got happy but at the same time I was also confused. They hated me for years but then suddenly became cool with me as if nothing happened, as if they were truly happy with my presence at school. As if they didn't spite hurtful words and insults and on me, as if they didn't call me names for a year." she stopped and glance over Lola who's now silently listening to us.

I wonder what my grandparents felt when they learned about it. Maybe they feel bad about themselves by not able to protect their unica hija.

We spent the rest of the day talking and wiping every shade of tears rolling over our cheeks everytime we reached the gloomy side of the story.

I am so keen on listening everything mama have said. Having a girl talk with mama and lola, the most important girls in my life is precious.

I am grateful for having them in my life, they are not perfect. I mean, who is perfect by the way? Nobody. No one else is perfect. Everybody has flaws and imperfections but that doesn't mean we can't change and continue life. What matters is that we have learned every mistake we have. Strong and brave for whatever may life takes us.