Chapter 19: Duty Calls

~Third Point of View~

Awoken by the echoing sound of clattering pans, his sight slowly came into focus on the snoring figure lying heavily at the end of his bed. His duvet felt warm on his bare skin, the fluffy haven inviting even the god of the underworld to eternal rest. Sunlight seemed to spill into the large space, escaping through black silk curtains and lightly tickled his bicep tucked around a pillow.

The feeling of bliss washed over the god, his mind at ease with no distractions at bay.

That is, until a second wave of banging sounded, ripping Cerberus from his slumber who scrambled off the bed in alert, tearing the white duvet down with him. It twirled around him tightly but the dog payed no mind as he dashed out of sight towards the noise, the blanket in tow.

He allowed himself to stretch slowly, hearing the popping of his joints and cracking spine was always pleasing.

Residing in a human body had a certain shine to it, allowing him to indulge in things he wouldn't normally find interesting in the underworld. Things such as the bottles of wine and expensive Belgian chocolates he had so much of last night. The only downside?

The exquisite, natural occurrence called shitting.

He could never admit to anyone how giddy he felt after dropping Aurora off the previous night. The gods would definitely have a good time laughing at his ridiculousness, but strangely enough, he payed no mind to that thought.

"Haadeeees~" a distant melody echoed into his bedroom. "I know your despicable ass is in here!" Her tone sounded more sharp this time.

"Found you."

Her tall figure slyly leaned against his doorframe, arms crossed tightly with an overly happy Cerberus glued to her hip. Her current form was clothed in her too well known black leather outfit, which Hades thought was too tight on her.

Cerberus being docile was rare, but she was an unfortunate exception. The beast was whipped for her, too, and Hades was NOT jealous.

"Vivian..."

"Were you actually fucking sleeping?!" She spat the last word out disgustingly, her manicured eyebrows twinged with utter confusion.

"And if I was?" He rose out of bed, stretching his arms as far up as they can reach.

"What in the world are you up to, Hades?!" She said incredulously, kicking at the empty bottles and garbage that littered his bedside.

He remained silent, and she followed him as he made his way into his walk through wardrobe, where he busied himself by looking through clothes. "As if your disappearance wasn't shady enough, I get word from a lowlife that you were seen above the underworld, leisurely mingling with these disgusting creatures when you have WORK TO DO!"

She slammed her fist against the wall in frustration, and Cerberus visibly tensed up next to her.

"Can you just.....oh I don't know, fuck off?" Hades turned to her and flashed her a nasty smile, his patience wavering.

"Don't you dare fucking ignore me, you piece of shit! Do you have any clue what kind of disaster you left in your wake last month when you decided to vanish?"

"Get out I'm changing." He sighed, flicking his wrist towards her. She was forcefully pulled out of his bedroom by an invisible force, the door slamming as soon as she was left safely standing outside.

"And now you're physically preforming human tasks! Hilarious!" She laughed dryly. "The gods would have a field day if they knew!"

God's, unlike humans, had no need to rely on physical energy. There was no such thing as stamina, or stealth, or endurance. Likewise, food had no effect on the bodies they withstood in, which were often referred to as sleeves to the gods. One could, however participate in human actions as they pleased, bearing the responsibilities that come with it such as using the bathroom, maintaining the health of their sleeve if they wished to keep it, etc.