60

It was almost time to knock off and Logan had missed his lunch, so he was very hungry and tired. He had spent most of his day hiding in his office. After the article, Sasha wrote about him and after firing Demi, he did not want to face any more people. He had told Natalia to cancel all of his meetings for the day.

He looked at his watch and sighed. He got up and took his jacket and phone, and left his office.

He could not stay locked up in his office all day, people had probably forgotten about that little lie she put in the article, because the article was about Kyle.  Besides, Sasha had been dealt with. Yes, she pretty much still had her job, but she was suspended for three months after Logan called in a favor with the owner of the publication. Her punishment was not enough, but her boss insisted that it was all he could offer because Sasha was one of the best journalists they had, and he could not afford to lose her.

Logan arrived on the ground floor and spotted Natalia at the reception desk. He approached the desk and for the first time ever, he did not know what to say. It took him a long time to realize that Natalia had meant no harm at all; she just got caught in the moment. He felt guilty for the way he handled the situation and how he treated her.

“Natalia, how is the new secretary hunt going?” He asked the moment he reached her desk.

“Mosetsana is in charge of that, Sir.” She said, picking up some papers from the floor. Logan felt a twinge when she called him that. She had switched to professionalism around him; she no longer joked around him, smiled at him, or prompted him about his plans for May Smith.

“You do know that I don’t trust anyone else with new staff hiring, right?” Logan asked jokingly, trying to lighten the mood.

"I know that Sir, it is just that I've been busy with these files and I barely had the time to do it." She appeared from behind her desk and fixed her glasses and hair. A small smile appeared on Logan’s face, but it disappeared as fast as it came the moment Natalia looked up; her eyes looked tired.

“What do I have to do to have my friend back?” He asked, and Natalia bit on her lip and stared at him. “Just say it and I’ll do it.” He said quietly.

Natalia sighed. “I haven’t seen my son in days, because I’ve been working late, and by the time I get home, he’s already asleep. Same story in the morning; I leave early so that I can get a head start on the work.” She said in exasperation, and guilt seeped into Logan.

“Go home and spend time with Alviro, but please, go to the agency tomorrow and sort this out. I’ll find someone else to take care of these.” He closed all the files and packed them together.

“But, Logan–” Natalia protested, but Logan cut her off.

“That was not a request, Natalia. Take the rest of the day off.” He said bluntly, and Natalia sighed in defeat. She picked her bag and left the office.

Logan picked all the files and headed to his destination. “I want you to do these–” He slammed the files on MJ’s desk. “From cover to cover, A to Z, from the first number to the last, from past to present, and stamp my signature on each and every single page. DO. NOT. MAKE. A. MISTAKE.” He ordered and left her office. MJ just sat there with her lips pressed together in a thin line. She looked at the pile of files without blinking and took in a sharp breath. Just when she thought it was over, Logan returned with more files. “And, oh! I almost forgot about these.” He placed the pile of papers and portfolio files that MJ had gathered on her first day of work.

MJ’s jaw clenched and she looked at Logan as if she could already see his body draped in red. “I thought someone had taken care of these.” MJ said.