Part Four: Budding Rose

November 1963

     We met again the next day. And then the next. And then Tuesday. I would tell my parents various excuses:

I have studying to do at Charlotte's. Semester tests are coming up.

I'm babysitting for Mr and Mrs Keevler. Remember? Down the road?

I'm going to the movies tonight! Won't be back until late.

     They would always believe me. I had never lied to them before so why would I start now? Here's the way I see it: I was eighteen. I was an adult.
But: I was still in Highschool. I was still living under my parents' roof.

     So that was a problem.

It's not like my parents didn't understand that I was an adult. They let me stay out for as long as I wanted. On one condition: I was responsible for taking care of my own responsibilities in the morning. The only problem was that they'd surely kill me if they'd known where I'd been and with who.

That's why tonight I told them I was staying the night at a friends' place (not a lie) and I'd see them Wednesday (lie). They were hesitant at first. It was a school night. But then I told them that it was Patience Gardner and they instantly relaxed.

Patience had been my best friend since 4th grade. She covers for all my lies. I cover for hers. This was no different.

Meanwhile, at Veronica's, we spent our time in whatever way we could. She taught me guitar chords that I couldn't remember, I taught her how to paint. She taught me how to tell the Beatles apart, I taught her how to bake a cake from scratch.

We would spread out magazines on her bed and read all about The Beatles. Ringo was my favorite because he was adorable. George was hers because he was a great guitarist. We did everything we could in what short amount of time we could see eachother.

So that brings us to the present. Me standing in the Utica Shopping Center with a little suitcase full of clothes, waiting for Her.

She wasn't taking her motorcycle today. It wouldn't be big enough for me and the suitcase. On top of that, the square was bustling with High schoolers that had just gotten out of their Tuesday classes. Too many kids from Edison Prep would see me on a motorcycle. That would lead to my parents knowing.

Veronica said that she was taking Gladys's car. It would be less suspicious. I just hope it wouldn't draw too much attention. I stood on the corner of twenty first street and waited. Memories of waiting here for a certain Mystery Girl flooded back to me. I smiled. After about ten minutes a sleek car pulled up beside the sidewalk. Oh my God. I don't know where Gladys worked, but she must've been payed a lot.

     The car was a brand new, 1963, Maroon Buick Riviera. I walked to the side and the reflective windows rolled down. It was Veronica. Of course. "Hey little miss, need a ride?" She winked at me. My worries vanished and my laugh rang out like a bell. "I sure do." I winked back.

     Veronica put the car in park, but left the windows down . I opened the door. Before I stepped in she stopped me. "Be careful not to scratch anything. Don't even breathe too hard. If I ruin Daisy's prize ride I'm TOAST, Rach." She warned. I rolled my eyes at her and nestled myself and my suitcase into the small front seat.

     Veronica dove slowly through the square, which made a few boys turn and wolf-whistle at the car. They were in my class, and what's worse is that they recognized me instantly. "Hey, Rachel baby, nice ride. I knew you was always a rich gal. Did daddy pay for that?" He sneered. His friends laughed. I shrugged him off while I watched the passers-by gaze at the car. I never understood why people got so excited about cars. Sure, they're pretty but that's about it.