Part Fifteen: Live a Little

February 5, 1964

Almost dying gives you a new perspective on life. Okay, well. I know that I was far from actually dying last night, but getting a concussion also gives you a new perspective on life.

A blurry one, but a new one nonetheless.

Veronica and I drove all the way through Pennsylvania today. Actually Veronica was the one driving. As much as I tried to stay awake, I found myself dozing between miles of land. I felt bad about leaving Veronica to traverse the state by herself. Pennsylvania wasn't a small state, either.

     The 280 foot length of Pennsylvania seemed like a blur to me. Every so often I'd wake up and hear Veronica singing along to the radio. This would just lull me back into sleep.

You'd think that this day would end in a boring fashion. A boring day of driving, and a boring end sleeping in a parking lot.

But you'd be wrong.

When we reached the outer brink of New Jersey, Veronica shook me to consciousness. It was dark outside, but street lights illuminated the crowded parking lot we were in. Cars were parked on either side of the van, and I could hear teenage girls squeal in the distance.

     I turned to Veronica, excitement and anticipation on her face. Confusion on mine.

      "Where are we?" I croaked out sleepily. My eyes burned from the street light up above. Veronica killed the engine, and bit the corner of her lip in a smirk. "Oh no. It's not a strip joint or anything, Right?" I asked.

     Veronica laughed lowly. Something in my stomach fluttered. That was kinda hot. She pulled on the door handle, and pushed it open a bit. I sat still, awaiting my answer.

      "No, Rachel. We're at a bowling alley." She answered. As if it were the most normal thing in the world.

•••

I never fancied crowded places. Sweaty people and loud noises made my head feel crowded. They also made my vision go blurry. Also, the concussing thing didn't help.

The sounds from inside the bowling alley were already leeching out into the front of the building. I hesitated walking in. Veronica saw me, and grabbed my hand. She started to pull me forward into the cesspit of teenagers waiting outside.

When we got inside, a tall blonde boy was standing behind the front counter.

The sticker on his red polo shirt read 'Tyler'. His acne-stricken face contorted into a fake smile as he recited. "Welcome to our place of fun. Concession is on the east end of the building. Have a bowling ball." After he was finished his smile began to falter.

     'Ronnie dug thirty cents out of her pocket and laid it on the counter top. Tyler nodded a thanks, and stowed the change in the register.

Veronica only nodded a somewhat acknowledgment to him, and pulled me over to lane number 7. I had always been bad at any sport or activity involving a sphere. In elementary, nobody ever picked me for their kickball team. I was just awful at sports.

     No, I'd never really liked bowling either. But seeing the excitement of Veronica's face, I suddenly wanted to play a million games. Too bad we only paid for one. I guess we'd have to make it last.

After we slipped our bowling shoes on, Veronica bowled first with a green ten pound ball. She hit a strike in her first try. She looked back at me with a smug expression.