Part Eighteen: The Night Before

February 8, 1964
12 am

    Her lips were on mine as soon as we stepped in the door. My eyes widened in surprise. I hadn't been expecting this. Her hands scoured my body, touching me everywhere like she couldn't get enough of me.

I gasped when she bit my lips. I bit hers back. She moaned on my mouth.

     This behavior came as a total surprise to me. Just hours before, we had been innocently ice skating. Now we were swallowing each other's tongues. I suppose that I was shooting her rather taunting looks at dinner—which was Italian by the way.

Regardless, I assumed that we were going to come home to a quiet first night in our new home. Veronica definitely had different plans.

The type of scheme she had in mind became clear when she started unbuttoning my trench coat. Our lips were still locked as I eagerly slipped it off my shoulders. It fell on the floor in a heap. I helped her out of her own jacket.

I knew that by now that she had gotten a little too hot in it.

I broke our kiss, causing Veronica to groan. Her protests soon stopped when I started leading her to the bed. She happily allowed me to push her onto it. She landed back-first on the mattress. I pinned her under me, determined to pick up where we had left off that night in the van.

I straddled her as I slipped my cotton dress up over my head. Her breath caught in her throat. The only thing covering me now were my underthings. Our eyes locked the whole time, I unbuckled my bra. Veronica's eyes traveled south soon after that.

     She lifted a hand to my bare chest as if to ask 'may I?'. I nodded eagerly. Veronica gently cupped my breasts with her hands. I whimpered slightly, craving more. My body leaned into her caressing touch.

I wanted more. I wanted her.

     Veronica knew this. She propped herself up on her elbows to assist me in removing her shirt. I quickly pulled it off of her. She tensed up just slightly. What I saw put me in awe.

She was wearing a black lace bra, as if she'd prepared for this moment. She noticed my analytical staring, and actually blushed.

     "I thought you'd appreciate it." She said timidly. This was the first time I'd seen her so vulnerable. I gently leaned down and gently cupped her face in my hands. We gazed into each others eyes. Her chocolate eyes were filled with both hunger and worry.

An unique combination for a unique girl.

     "I love it, Ronnie." I replied.

     My words had obviously calmed her. I kissed her tenderly. My hands slipped behind her back, finding her bra clasp. I pulled our faces apart to look at her once more. She nodded a 'yes' to me, and I removed her bra.

     I sat up to look at Veronica's topless body in the moonlight. She laid exposed on her back, hands above her head. The window overhead cast down elegant lace patterns through the curtains onto her body. She was absolutely breathtaking.

     I leaned down and kissed her chest lightly, taking my time worshiping them. After awhile, Veronica started to grind her lower body up on me. It was evident that she was getting somewhat impatient. My fingers trailed down to find the waistband of her panties.

     "Are you sure you're ready, Ronnie?" I asked softly. The months we'd spent with one another flashed through my mind. We had been through so much together, it was crazy to think that we'd end up here. Maybe one day I'd tell her that I'd had an infatuation with her from the start.

     Nah, It would probably just go to her head. Or she'd think that I was crazy.

     Veronica bit her lip and nodded. "I was ready from the day that I met you, Rachel." She whispered.

     And with that, I continued.

•••

     Veronica and I cuddled in our bed, our clothes long-forgotten on the floor. It was now close to four in the morning. I was still breathing heavy from what she'd done to me tonight. Thinking about it still made my legs shake.

     She laid with her head on my naked chest, hair tickling my bare skin. "I can hear your heartbeat." She admitted a few moments later, "it's going a million miles an hour."

I didn't doubt it.

     I blushed in the darkness of our apartment. Veronica's hands traced circles on my stomach under the covers. I played with her hair.

"That was the first time I've ever done anything like that." I admitted. She nodded. Oh, so it was obvious.

     But I doubted Veronica cared much. She had still had a lot of fun tonight despite my inexperience. (If you know what I mean). We sat in silence for a few moments until Veronica said,

     "I used to see you standing in the square with your friends when I drove past Utica." She began. "You always stood out to me because you seemed to be the happiest. I had a crush on you before I even met you. I would drive to the square just to catch a glimpse of you."

     I blinked. When I didn't answer she quickly added. "I'm so sorry, I know it's creepy."

     Unable to contain myself, I bursted out in a fit of laughter. Veronica sat up to look me in the face. "What? What's so funny, huh?" She asked, poking my stomach.

I took some deep breaths before I responded,

     "You? The creep? Please! I used to track the time you arrived in Utica Square each day so that I could see you! I was infatuated with you without even knowing your name!" I yelled.

     Veronica gasped, "You're having a laugh!"

     I shook my head and put up three fingers. "Honest, scouts honor."

     We broke out in a fit of giggles. She laid back down, going back to tracing my stomach with her finger. "I didn't know you were in scouts." She said.

     "That's because I wasn't." I admitted. She slapped my tummy playfully, craning her neck to look at me.

     "Then how do I know you weren't lying the first time?" She questioned, narrowing her eyes at me. I shrugged, and leaned forward to kiss her soft pink lips. "I guess you'll just have to trust me."

     She shook her head, and nestled it into the crook of my arm. This was my favorite place to have her: right next to me. As we started to slowly wind down, I held her right against me. I was so lucky to have a woman like her.

     As the night grew late, the morning grew early, and the sounds of New York City never slept. Veronica and I did, though. And as we surely fell into that blissful state between dreams, I whispered something true:

     "I love you, Veronica."

And so did she:

     "I love you too, Rachel."