Part Five: Volkswagen

November 1963

     The alarm didn't ring. Probably because I hadn't even set one in the first place. There hadn't been a thought about it in my mind when I had drifted asleep.

Sun streamed through Veronica's apartment. The tapestries she used for curtains had been pinned back. The spot on the bed where she had slept was now empty and cold. She wasn't in bed. She wasn't anywhere in the apartment as a matter-of-fact. Actually, I take it back. The bit I said about her spot being empty wasn't entirely true. Oliver now occupied the space, purring loudly.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes. There was a note on our bedside table. Sorry, her bedside table. I reached across Oliver's sleeping figure and snatched the piece of paper.  It read:

     Hey, sorry I'm not there.
I'm picking up a shift at Gladys' company. She owns a big wig car recking service.
-Xoxo, the girl who's bed you hogged all night.

P.S: Aren't you supposed to be in school?

     Yes. Yes I was. At some point I decided to get out of bed and get dressed. I looked at the clock. It was eight fifteen. Class had started fifteen minutes ago. The thermometer on the wall told me it was sixty degrees Fahrenheit. Jesus. Good thing I had anticipated the cold.

     I put on the flowery blue sweater and matching blue skirt I packed. My hair was secured with a white headband. My hair was being very uncooperative this morning by the way. I slipped flats on over my thigh high socks, and searched for a pen.

     When I found one on the coffee table, I flipped Veronica's note over and scribbled,

Went to school.
-Sincerely, Rachel.

     Good enough. Very straightforward. I waved my goodbye to Oliver—who responded by blinking in my general direction. Love you too, bud.

     The floor was empty this Wednesday morning. Well, almost empty. Danny was there, at the end of the hallway, smoking. Could you really call it smoking? Because by the looks of it, he was literally just chewing on his cigarette. It wasn't even lit. I shook my head and jogged down to meet him.

     My hand shot in the air to wave at him. "Danny! Do you think you could give me a ride to school?"
Danny had been looking at the floor, but his attention was now on me. I knew he had a ride. He and Veronica were the only two people with motorcycles on this floor. Actually, Danny's was more of a dirt bike. It didn't particularly matter. He could get me to school.

     Danny took the chewed-up cigarette out of his mouth. He wore a white shirt that was wrinkled and stained. Today it was tucked into his jeans, secured with a leather belt. He ran a hand over his greased hair. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Of course. You goes to Eddy Prep, huh? All youse rich kids do. Say, do you have a lighter?" He talked fast. "No. I'm sorry." I shook my head.

     Danny frowned and stuck the cigarette behind his ear. "No big deal. No biggie. Ay, c'mon. Let's get you to school." He grabbed my arm and practically dragged me to the parking building. Strange man.

    •••

     As it turns out, for as weird and Danny was, he was a magnificent driver. Quick, too. He didn't have helmets, but he just told me to hold on tight and keep my skirt down. Easy enough. "Ronnie would kill me if somethin' happened to ya." I recalled him saying.

     We arrived by nine. It was second period. I gave a flimsy excuse to my first period teacher for being late. I missed the bus. And she said it was no problem. All of my teachers practically loved me. I made straight A's. I was honest. It wasn't hard to get out of things.

     And I know what you're wondering: She still takes the bus? Yes. I did. My parents wouldn't let me get my license. They couldn't stand the idea of their baby girl behind the wheel of a big dangerous vehicle. "Seven teens die a day from diving, Rach." My dad would say. My plan was to get it as soon as I moved out. They couldn't expect me to stay home forever.

The day practically flew by in a flash. When school let out, I had no idea what was going to happen to my stuff. My bag was still at Veronica's. The bustling crowd of teenagers pushed their way outside when the last bell rang. I was among them. It's not like I had a choice. I was like 5' 2". Theres not much I could do to fight being pushed around.

     Finally I made it outside. I looked around for Gladys' car, or for Veronica's motorcycle. Disappointment filled me when neither were in sight. I was about to make the decision to ride the School Bus home when I heard an obnoxious car honk behind me.

     "Move it, Bastard!" A commanding voice yelled from the parking lot. Wait a minute, I knew that commanding voice. Further inspection revealed Veronica yelling at the other cars in front of her in the parking lot. She wasn't driving her Motorcycle. She was in something much worse. What kinda hunk-of-junk was she driving?

     Veronica sat behind the wheel of Volkswagen bus. It wasn't a spiffy Volkswagen bus, either. It had more of a "rundown-motel-on-the-side-of-the-road" aesthetic. I was so confused. Where did she get THAT?

     My confusion didn't wear off when she and the VW bus stopped in front of me. Veronica reached across the passenger seat and opened the door. "You like my ride? She's vintage, baby." She pat the dash when I hoisted myself into the broken-down van. "Her name's Barb. Short for Barbie. Extra short for Barbara." She continued. The seat I sat on was dusty. There goes my new skirt.

     "Barb belongs in the junkyard—which is where I assume you picked her up?" I asked. Veronica pulled out sunglasses from her button-up shirt pocket. "Yes'am, little darling." She replied putting them on.

     I cocked an eyebrow at her. Or at least tried. I can't do it very well. I kinda look like I'm squinting whenever I try. Or pained. She saw the look I was giving her, "What? I couldn't let 'er go to waste! Gladys said we could fix 'er up in no time. Besides, you didn't want to stay in Oklahoma forever did you?" She stated rather harshly.

     No I didn't. During those days when we saw each other, I had told her about my dreams to move to New York. I wanted to become a doctor and get away from down south. This was her way of saying that we could somehow drive out of state.

"So, road trip?" I asked wiggling my eyebrows playfully. Veronica reached over and punched my shoulder lightly. "Not just yet, baby doll." She laughed. We had made it out of the parking lot with Barb by now. I was actually surprised that the old clunker hadn't fallen apart with the way Veronica drove. I turned around to look in the back of the van and noticed Veronica's Harley. So that's where that was.

     When I switched on the old radio—again, I was surprised that it even worked—We received great news. The radio host was announcing the release of The Beatles new album With The Beatles.

    "Yes, ladies, on this the twenty second of November you can go out and get you a copy in the states real soon! They're expected to arrive sometime next week! Don't miss it!"

     Veronica and I practically started screaming. She almost lost control of the van, I almost had a heart attack. You know, the usual. Who could blame us? We were ecstatic.

     Little did we know that this record would bring us closer than ever. And on the journey of our lives.

    Close your eyes and I'll kiss you....