Part Nine: Slightly Criminal

February 2, 1964

     The sound of car horns blaring on the freeway woke me up. I groaned, determined to block out the unnecessary noise with my pillow. There was a slight hiccup in my plan. You see, at some point in the night, Veronica had decided to scoot so close to me that we were now sharing a pillow.

     On top of that, her arm was still wrapped around my abdomen tightly. I sighed in utter frustration and relaxed on the bed again. The disturbance outside seemed to have no affect on sleeping beauty here. I couldn't see her face, but she was snoring rather loudly in my ear.

I wonder what time it is. The eastern sun streaming in through the van's curtains signaled that it was definitely morning. I tried to move as smoothly and slowly as I could to see the clock on the dash without waking 'Ronnie. I craned my neck as far as was humanly possible. After almost dislocating my shoulder, my prize came into view.

The clock revealed that it was 10:30 in the morning. We had only slept for five hours? That was strange. I felt so energized. Maybe it was the adrenaline from escaping my parents. Maybe it was the adrenaline from the girl next to me. As I laid down next to a sleeping Veronica, I realized something.

Where the heck was Oliver?

Surely Veronica didn't leave him unattended. I made a mental note to ask her as soon as she woke up. Another thing I realized was that I didn't know exactly what the scenery outside was like.

     The only time I had seen it was through sleep filled eyes at five am. The only things I saw were a parking lot, and a building up ahead that I couldn't quite make out. The sounds of speeding cars told me that we were somewhat close to a busy freeway. Not the smartest idea if people were looking for me.

     Which, I assumed they were. Why wouldn't they be? The note wouldn't be enough to keep my parents off of our trail. On top of that, this van wasn't exactly the most inconspicuous. They'd definitely recognize it. I would have to voice these concerns to Veronica as well.

Who was still asleep despite the literal death-waking calamity happening outside. She could probably sleep through a hurricane. Her death grip around my body had not loosened one bit, and her breath tickled my neck every time she exhaled.

     My heart started it's erratic rhythm again, and heat pooled in my stomach. I hated when it did that. She made a tiny sound in her sleep which caused the feeling of warmth in my abdomen to grow.

I sighed, not knowing how to feel about this predicament. After another half hour of laying still, I finally got some movement from her. "Finally." I breathed. I was ready to spring up and open the van door for some fresh air. Not to mention that I really, really, really had to go to the bathroom.

     Veronica heard me and laughed a little. I started to sit up. "Hey not so fast, I was comfortable." She protested, pulling me back down. "Oh, no you don't!" I countered.

     I threw myself up and began shaking her awake. She finally groaned and sat up. Then, she gripped my shoulders in her hands and started shaking me back. "I'm awake, Rach. I'm awake!" She teased.

     My brain felt like it was rattling around in my skull. She had started getting her boots on. I think she gave me the adult version of shaken baby syndrome. "Your breath stinks." I said. She paused her boot-lacing to throw a pillow at me. It hit me right in the head, causing the atmosphere to spin more.

     After my vision stilled, I took a proper first look at her. Her rich brown hair was tousled, and it stuck out in every which way. I watched her pull it back and secure it with a black ribbon. She usually wore her hair like this. I assumed it was to keep it out of her eyes when she rode her motorcycle.