Prologue

Across the horizon, in a corn field, stood a little boy. The day had turned to dusk and the night's sky sprinkled tiny white dots called stars. Stars were something that the little boy loved to watch. The sky was always different, always changing, and he was okay with that.

His adoptive mother stood a few inches away as she adjusted the telescope. She looked at him after she adjusted it and said, "Before you were born, there were twelve constellations. Each represented a symbol and a meaning. Today we would have seen Taurus."

"Didn't you say that was what your... sign was?" I asked as I watched her, my eyes searching for what had happened.

She nodded and continued, "Sadly they all disappeared from the night sky."

The small boy tilted his head and placed a hand on her arm. "What happened to them?"

"Legend has it that they were sent onto our planet as punishment from their crimes." The seven year old boy listened to her with intrigued eyes. Every word she said, he soaked into his brain. She smiled and said, "Would you like me to tell you the whole story, Ophiuchus?" 

He nodded his head as he sat down waiting. 

"Long ago... before my time there were 12 zodiac signs..."