Chapter 4

Chapter 4

It had been several years since the famine, and Ludwig was now much older. He was nearly Gilbert’s height in fact.

            It was a spring day, and Gilbert was very busy with work, as tension was rising between his country and Poland. He and Feliks were not the best of friends, but alas, they still were ‘friends’ and he didn’t want to fight him.

            Gilbert sighed and stood up walking to the window in his study. It allowed him to see the backyard of his property, and he found Ludwig and the cook’s son sparring with wooden swords.

            He watched with curiosity, for he was the one who taught Ludwig how to spar and wanted to see how he progressed.

            He watched for roughly five minutes before a knock at the door distracted him.

            He turned and saw one of his soldier, a Knight in the door way.

            “What is it?” he asked confused

            “The King has declared war, we are his first dispatched. The company awaits you.” The young Knight answered.

            Gil’s mind began to race, and he absently dismissed the soldier.

            Once the man left he sank into a chair and put his face in his hands.

            Orders. He had to follow without doubt.

            But friend… he was raised to be loyal to.

            He did not hear the door open, and was then surprised when Ludwig stood before him.

            “Bruder?”

            Gil looked up “Ja Luddy?”

            “What’s wrong?”

            “Oh… I-I have to leave…” Gil said

            Ludwig looked confused

            “War, I have to go. Now. I’m fighting… Poland.” He spoke

            Ludwig gasped “But he’s your friend! You can’t! That’s wrong!”

            Gilbert nodded “But I am a soldier.”

            Ludwig’s eyes were filled with emotions that Gilbert couldn’t place.

            “You told me to always be loyal to your friends…”

            “I’ve taught you to be a soldier, and be loyal to your leader as well.” He snapped

            Ludwig sat down “But…”

            Gilbert sighed “I have to do it if I like it or not.” He spoke roughly

            He didn’t like being so snappy with Ludwig, and he certainly didn’t like confusing Ludwig and clouding his young brothers mind.

            “What would the Awesome Knight do?” Ludwig asked, rather suddenly

            Gilbert cocked his head to the side “Why?”

            “Because…” Ludwig answered, looking away

            Gilbert furrowed his brow and thought

            “Well, I know a story that would explain that.” Gilbert said shrugging, going with it

            Ludwig looked at him attentively and so he began

            “The Awesome Knight was a soldier, yet also a man. And he was constantly faced with the challenge of being a soldier or a man, for one cannot be both. One day, he was ordered by his noble king to take his men and fight. But the country he was sent to battle he had friends in. The Knight rallied his men, and like a good soldier went to battle. His men could see the un-settled feeling in their leader but none brought it up. Upon arriving at what would be the battle ground, the Knight fell into deep thought. His friends, were un-doubtly on the far side of the field, and he un-doubtly would be fighting them. He was raised with morals: and one of them was to always protect one’s friend and family, and to always stay loyal. He had been taught that since he was a boy. Those exact morals drove him to become who he was-a Knight. For why did he fight? He fought to protect. As a Knight he was loyal to Prussia, the king, and any orders given. He took a holy oath to uphold any orders given, no matter what they be. The Awesome Knight had to take out these orders. He, had to fight himself and the enemy. He, could not be a man in this battle, for men have feeling. And if he had feeling, he’d remember that loyalty to friend. He’d feel guilt. He would then fail. The Awesome Knight stood, he could dwell on this no longer. Orders were given. Orders will be followed. He would execute them. Giving the order to ready for battle, he drew his own sword. A sword he’d soon bloody with the blood of his friends kinsman. Perhaps… even his friend. And even in a way, bloody with his own blood. For spilling the blood of his friends, he would wound himself. His heart would bleed. He kneeled, thrusting his sword into the ground, and he gripped his Iron Cross. The Awesome Knight needed courage, and that was a reminder of it. He stood. Stilling his mind. Becoming not man, but soldier. To battle we go men, he called. Orders… order we follow, he muttered before running into battle.”

            Gilbert fell silent. Oddly now knowing what he was going to do.

            Ludwig looked at him, his eyes now soft. “Do you want to go Bruder?”

            “It doesn’t matter what I want to do. As I soldier, I go.” He spoke softly, rising to his feet.

            Ludwig moved forward and hugged his brother, and Gil hugged him back.

            “I’ll be home sometime soon… see you then Luddy.” Gil said ruffling the boy’s hair.

            Ludwig reluctantly let his brother go “G-good bye…”

            How many times had Gil left for war? Many, and yet, the brothers parting never became easier.

            But he had orders to leave. And leave he would.