Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven: Collecting.

Throughout the next three weeks I had been stealing money from my clients and the girls even stole some from their clients. They scavenged some food for me as well. Amber was terrified of me trying to leave. I had made the plan, I'd bust the window and hot wire the car before daddy even knew what hit him.

It was eight o'clock at night, bedtime. All the girls were showering except for my floor, Amber, Baylee, and me. I took my backpack of provisions out of my closet and put on a grey tank top and grey sweatpants that daddy had given me. I took the other clothes I had as well, just tanks and sweats. I slipped on a pair of tennis shoes that Amber had given me. Amber came into my room. "Good luck Payton," she said. I hugged her. "I'll get the police here. I promise, I'll get you home to your family," I replied. She hugged me and then left.

I used my bed sheets and tied them together along with the curtains on my window. I tied them to the window frame and then used my lamp to bust the window. I started slowly crawling out. Not more than a minute later, daddy showed up at the window and grabbed my hair. I punched his face until he let go of my hair. I started sliding down as fast as gravity would throw me to the ground. When I hit the cement I felt my left ankle fracture. I screamed in pain. I saw the charger and limped to it quickly. I opened the door and to my luck, the keys were inside. I started the car and backed up just as daddy came around the corner of the three story building. I put the car in drive and floored it.

The city I had looked at for three weeks every night, was Mexico City. If only the people had known a whore house as ten minutes from their beautiful city. I was out of Mexico City as fast as I entered it. I needed to find a pay phone, no way I was making it past the border without some help.

In four and a half hours I was in San Luis Potosi, Mexico. I needed to stop and rest a bit. I pulled into the nearest gas station and went in for something to eat and drink. I bought a bottle of Pepsi and a bag of tortilla chips. At the register the guy gave me funny looks. He then asked me, "¿usted es americano, sí?" (You are American, Yes?) Thank god I took Spanish freshman year. I replied, "sí, im visitar en vacaciones escolares." (Yes, I'm visiting on school holiday). "Me llamo Juan." "Me llama Payton," I replied. "¡Adios!" I exclaimed as I left. I then got into the charger and left the gas station.