Chapter Three

Chapter Three: Ransom

I put on a cute pair of miss me light wash jean shorts, a white tank top, and a neon pink bandeau bra. I slipped on my converses and then ran downstairs where Garrett was waiting. "Ready," he asked. "Of course," I replied. He took my hand and led me outside. He let me get into my car and then he got in the passenger side. Before I left my dad came up to the window. "Please don't drink tonight," my dad begged. "I won't, promise," I replied. He kissed my forehead and then I left.

When we got to Rob's a crowd was already forming around the track. Someone was already racing. I saw Paul and Rob timing and judging the race. I drove down to the entrance of the track and parked behind the table Rob and Paul were at. The instant I stepped out of my car I was applauded. I waved at everyone and then approached Paul and Rob. Paul hugged me, I assumed it was just for the cameras. "You look great," Paul said. "It's only been a day," I replied. "From what I've been hearing, you going this long without alcohol is amazing," he said. I hugged him again. Rob kissed my cheek. "You ready for this," he asked over the noise. "Let me beat some bitches' ass," I exclaimed. Garrett kissed my cheek and then sat next to Paul and Rob. Garrett's climbed to the top of the male food chain in the racing scene.

I got into my car and drove onto the track. Some amateur was in an old 1970 dodge charger. Rob's track was customized mainly for cars like mine, the same types of cars he has. I revved my engine. Paul radioed to me, "this kid will never even get close." "I don't know, have you ever seen the Fast and Furious movies," I teased. I looked at Paul who rolled his eyes. The flag was dropped, and the race was on.

As soon as that race started, it ended. The kids' car blew a gasket around the first turn. I was in my spot ready for my next race which was against one of the best racers on the streets. I've never raced him, I've heard a lot about him though. He was driving a Camero. The flag was dropped and I kicked into gear. I was instantly ahead of him around all the turns. He caught up to me on the straight but then came the last turn, the 90 degree bitch, as Garrett referred to it. I used my parking break and made the turn perfectly. The other guy? He we off the track and didn't finish the race. I crossed the finish line and won. I went up to Garrett. "You never use your parking break on that turn," Garrett said. "Well, I wanted to go too fast to psych that guy. I used the parking break so I could go into the turn way faster than I was supposed to," I replied.

A few hours later, everyone was up in the garage eating barbecue and dancing. I had one beer in my had as Garrett and I were grinding on each other. Garrett had a beer to, no big deal. My phone started ringing so I left the loud people and music to answer it. When I got around the backside of the garage I answered my phone. "Hello?" "Payton Davis," someone asked. "This is she," I replied. "I have something of yours'," he said. "I'm sure you don't, I'm not missing anything," I replied. "Let me rephrase, someone," he said. I heard Alexis in the background scream, "Payton!". "You fucking let her go right now or I swear to god I'll fucking-." "You'll fucking what? If you haven't noticed, I'm in control, me. You can't do shit," he interrupted. "What do you want," I asked. "You," he replied. "Then why take Alexis? Why not me," I asked. "Well, we went for you. Turns out you'd rather be out with that little boyfriend of yours' than with your sister and family," he replied. "What did you do," I asked with tears in my eyes. "When we got to your house and you weren't there, your dad and brothers made a move. We couldn't find you so we took her for leverage. They had the cops of your street before we had her out the door. But we still got away," he bragged. "Where do you need me," I asked. "Rio, tomorrow," he said. "What time," I asked. "7 o'clock pm, I'll text you the details," he said. I looked at the time. It was 12 o'clock in the morning. "That's a seventeen hour flight," I exclaimed. "Better get going then," he said as he hung up.

I ran back into the garage and went up to Paul, I grabbed his arm and dragged him outside. "You have a private jet right," I asked. "Yeah why," he asked. "Get it prepped we have to go," I exclaimed. "Payton if you're trying to escape jail-." "I'm not, nothing's against me. I got a message from the kidnappers. I'm supposed to be in Rio in nineteen hours," I yelled. "Calm down, meet me at the airport in an hour," he said. I nodded, got into my car, and drove home.

I parked and ran inside. Everyone was in the living room with what seemed to be a therapist. "Payton just who we needed to see," my dad said. "Not now! They called," I yelled. "Who called," my dad asked. "Alexis' kidnappers," I screamed. "What," my mom asked. "I have to be in Rio in nineteen hours. I have to leave-." "Payton hi," this girl greeted. "Who the fuck is this bitch," I asked. She looked flustered. "Payton," my mom said with a sympathetic look. "What the fuck is going on," I asked. "This is Suzie Miller, she's a social worker for the state of California," my mom said with tears. "Every adult in this home, has a criminal record including you Ms Davis. The state has suspended your parents' parental rights and awarded you to the states custody," she said. "Fuck off, I'm three months away from being 18," I shouted. "And then you'll be emancipated and be your own person, in the mean time you're the states problem now," she replied. I finally noticed two tall and buff men standing by the front door. My mom was crying. My dad looked shocked. My brothers just sat on the couch. "Fuck you," I shouted in her face.

I turned and ran upstairs, just to be followed by the two men. At the top of the stairs I used the walls to kick the front one in the chest, he took the second one down as he fell. I ran to my bedroom and locked the door. That gave me enough time to pack a duffle bag with everything I'd need. Within a minute they were pounding on my bedroom door. I called Paul. "I'm on my way hold on a sec," Paul said. "No come pick me up, shits going down. I'll be on the roof," I said. "Okay," he replied as he hung up.

I tied my bed sheets together and used them to climb down to the ground, that was when Paul showed up. I got in his car and he sped away, just as the men ran out of the house. "Hurry," I said. "What happened," Paul asked as we got on the road. "Social Services showed up trying to take me away," I exclaimed. "At 12 o'clock at night," he asked. "They must've found out about my habits," I said. "Whatever, you're going to be in Rio soon anyways," he said.