P R O L O G U E

The Salvatore School looms over the giant stretch of land; the green grass covers as far as the eye can see before the blue lake shimmering under the sun. No wind blows through the air, no animals chirp in the trees. No students run around the old house.

The gate is closed, chains around the bars. A lone teenage girl stands just inside the fence, her hair tumbling down her back. "Hello?" She calls out, her eyes darting around. "Hello, is someone here?"

She walks up to the school as the panic rises in her gut. "Anyone? Can anyone hear me?" She shouts as she races through the halls, her hands trailing against the wooden walls. Every groove in the walls cuts into her fingers until she can no longer feel them. "Josie? Teddy? Hell, Landon?!"

Each room is empty beside her own. While her room remains in perfect condition, every other one lacks even the simplest of furniture, like a bed or cabinet. They just stand there, empty and cold.

"Hello?! Can anyone hear me?!" Tears slip down her face. "Someone? Please!"

~~~~~

June

The Salvatore School looms over the giant stretch of land; the green grass covers as far as the eye can see before the blue lake shimmering under the sun. The wind blows a gentle breeze through the air; birds chirp in the trees. Students race out to their parents, flooding the once empty field.

The open gate allows parents to drive in and out of the school's circle. A single boy moves around inside of the school as the twins say goodbye beside a large van. The brunette steps away from the blonde, watching silently as the van disappears into the horizon.

"You going to be ok?" A voice draws her from her thoughts. The girl glances over her shoulder at the tall werewolf standing behind her.

"It's just a summer," Josie replies. "Besides, I need to work on being less codependent. Lizzie's going to get better." Turning to fully face the older wolf, she asks, "What are you planning on doing? Have you heard anything?"

Teddy shrugs but the exhaustion in his eyes betrays him. "I can't be there," he says. "I can't wake up every day and..." He purses his lips together and sighs. "My parents are looking around, seeing what they can find. You sure you don't remember—"

"I have no idea what I meant by 'Hope's blood.'" She shakes her head. "But we've tried literally everything at the school. If anyone can find anything, it's your family."

Teddy nods. "Can you..." He coughs and bites down on the inside of his cheek. "Is she in pain?"

"Honestly?" Josie deflates as she looks over at the open gate. "I can't feel her at all."

Hope you enjoyed!

-L