T H I R T Y - T W O

Standing at an altar in the center of the forest, Stella runs her burning hands along the cooling stone, rough against her fingertips. Birds chirp up in the leaves of the trees, flying from branch to branch as they congregate above the witch staring deep into the basin. Her blue eyes narrow as she inhales deeply and lets the crisp air around her cool her skin.

Twigs snap under approaching footsteps, but Stella does not move as she runs her fingers over the stained bowl before her, a dark line running around the bottom. "Were you followed?" She asks.

"No." Josie comes around the altar, holding out her duffle bag. "I got everything you wanted from my trip to the school."

Stella smirks as she takes the bag and places it at her feet. "Perfect, Josette."

"Want to share what we're doing?" Josie asks as she tilts her head. She runs her eyes over the black veins climbing up Stella's arms and up her neck. "And why everyone knows about me and not you?"

"I couldn't let them know until I'm done," Stella replies. "It was you or me, and I'm the one with a plan. You know what you have to do?"

Josie nods. "I don't want to." Shaking her head, Stella scoffs as she steps up to the siphoner, running her fingers down her cheek. Josie flinches away with a sneer. "You're not her."

With a roll of her eyes, Stella lets her hand drop. "Am I that bad?"

"You want me to kill my sister," Josie snaps. "all for power. Power I can't even use because you're making me siphon it into you." She crosses her arms with her hip jutting out. "I do not want to hurt Lizzie."

"Elizabeth will only get in the way," Stella replies. "Better she dies now than get hurt later on, and better you both get this Merge over with now than later when she might actually stand a chance of beating you. You have no idea how important your life is." She runs her eyes over Josie's face. "You may despise me, but I am doing what I have to."

"You don't have to do anything," Josie says. "The darkness is twisting your mind, Stella—"

"Don't call me that." Her eyes flash black as she bares her teeth. "Stella, that bright, shining, fucking star, is gone. I'm what's left: the darkness, the raw power of a Mikaelson witch. Stop trying to get her back, because even if she does win, Josette—this monumental fight for our soul—she'll never be the same. Are you sure you're still going to want her after all this? Because I have a feeling that you like this power. You are as power-hungry as I am. Perhaps we both take after psychopathic uncles."

Clenching her jaw, Josie leans forward so her nose is almost touching Stella's. "I want Stella. No matter what you do." The veins begin to throb on Stella's neck. "Stella is my best friend, and it took me too long to see that she is more than that—more than you'll ever be. I don't care about power. I would gladly give it all up for you to go."

Stella takes a step back with pursed lips. "You may just get your wish," she mutters under her breath. Shaking her head, she snaps; a small bracelet appears in her palm. "Happy birthday, Josette. Wear it if you want. See what I care."

She practically throws the jewelry into Josie's grasp before she begins stomping off into the woods. Back to back with Josie, she pauses a few steps away.

"Oh, what now?" Josie exclaims as she follows Stella's gaze. A sudden surge of power forces her eyes to turn black as she goes silent, staring at the person leaning against a far tree, his eyes glowing in the mist.

"I told you I'd find her," Stella says, her voice lighter than before. The black veins disappear from her skin as her eyes turn a shade lighter than normal. "Seems not even I can talk sense into her."