T W E N T Y - E I G H T

Slow steps down the hall with a hand on the wooden walls. One singular thought on her mind as the door comes closer into view; she clenches her hands at her sides as her gut fills with bugs, buzzing around as she plants her palm on the door.

It opens with a small push. She finds two beds next to each other: one with a blonde and one with a brunette, both sleeping—one more peacefully than the other. Coming around the bed bathed in moonlight, she kneels before the brunette, unable to stop her fingers from tracing the side of her face.

A small smile lifts Josie's lips as her tense body relaxes at the touch. Opening her eyes, Josie sits up with a frown. "Stella?" She asks, glancing over at her sister sleeping. "What are you doing here?"

Her mouth feels like sandpaper, her tongue like a knife cutting into her palate. "I just wanted to make sure you were ok," she says, looking away.

"Me?" Josie shakes her head. "Are you ok? You took off without a word and fell asleep by the time I got to your room."

Playing with her cracked fingernails, she bites her lip. "I guess I was just...overwhelmed. I had a lot to think about."

Josie places her hand over her's, making the girl look up. "But are you ok?"

She shrugs. "I honestly don't know. The only thing I know for sure is that—" She pauses, looking back at the moonlit window. "All I can think about is you," she admits softly, staring up through her eyelashes.

The girl shifts under Josie's gaze as it drifts below her eyes. Josie reaches forward, running her thumb over her cheekbone. "I've been thinking about you too," she says.

Before she can control herself, she lurches forward, capturing Josie's lips in a kiss. She pulls away just as fast, covering her mouth with her hands. "I'm sorry," she breathes. "I-I don't know what—"

Josie cups her face and kisses her once more, their noses rubbing against each other. She finds herself sighing into the kiss, Josie's hands relaxing her as they trail through her hair. Rising up on her knees, she wraps her arms around Josie's waist as Josie pulls her closer.

Somehow, she finds herself in the bed with Josie above her. Josie's lips trail down her neck as she arches her back, unable to keep the moan from escaping her lips. A cold hand on her bare waist only makes her skin tingle more.

"Is this ok?" Josie asks in a whisper, looking up as her fingers dance over the girl's hip.

"You don't even have to ask," she groans, her lips parted as she stares down at the brunette. "I'd let you do literally anything to me."

With a smirk, Josie rises to just above her face, their lips barely touching. "Anything?" Josie asks as Stella whines, unable to connect their lips once more. "I like the sound of that."

She bites down hard on her bottom lip, making her eyes widen. "Oh, come on, Josie," she whispers. "You really gonna make a girl wait much longer?"

A growl erupts from Josie's throat as she captures the girl's lips once more, pressing much harder against her. "You really shouldn't tease me, Stella. Just give me a straight answer."

She leans up on her elbows, tilting her head and puffing out her chest. "Make me."

The door to the room slams open, sending the two girls apart.

"It's past curfew," The shadow of Stella says, her eyes as dark as the veins crawling up her neck. "You shouldn't be here."

Jumping to her feet, Stella shakes her head and holds out her hand. "I'm not going to let you hurt her. Go away."

"Sorry, Stella, but I'm here to stay."

Stella gasps awake, her heart thundering against her chest. Darkness covers her room with a small light emanating from beneath the door. Scrambling over to it, Stella yanks it open, bathing in the low light.

"Hey, you ok?" Stella jerks her head back to see Hope groggily sitting up from Alyssa's empty bed. Her auburn hair covers half of her face as she yawns, barely able to keep her eyes open; Landon lies asleep next to her, ash covering the back of his neck. "I hope it's ok, I just wanted to keep an eye on you."

"Oh, yeah," Stella replies, running a hand down her face. "I-I just need to use the bathroom. You can go—can go back to sleep." She practically races down the hall as Hope flops back onto the bed; she locks the bathroom door closed behind her.

Walking over to the sink, Stella plants both hands on either side of the ceramic basin, avoiding looking at her reflection. A deep laugh emanates from her chest when she finally finds the blue eyes in the mirror. "It's no use," she says as he straightens her back. "I told you, I'm here to stay."

"Let me go." The reflection says, fire in her blue eyes. The reflection glares at Stella, but it lacks true strength.

"No." The light in the bathroom bounces off of the emptiness in Stella's black eyes. "It's just...I have so much planned, Stella, and you would just get in the way."

"Leave them out of this," Stella begs from the mirror; the glare lessens as her shoulders droop. "Leave the Saltzmans and Hope out of this."

"Unfortunately, I can't." She clicks her tongue as she glances around. "Oh, relax, Stel. You'll thank me when I'm done."

"I doubt that."

The handle to the bathroom wiggles. Stella looks over with a frown. "Occupied," she says.

"Stella? It's me."

Stella curses under her breath, waving a hand in front of her reflection. Running the facet quickly and lathers her hands with soap before she snaps, unlocking the door. "Sorry, just finishing up," she says with her head down.

Josie slowly steps in, blinking away the light. "I-I thought I heard you run by my room. Just wanted to check on you."

Stella turns off the sink and dries her hands, still facing away from the sleepy brunette. "I'm ok."

"You sure?" Stella can see Josie narrowing her eyes from the mirror. "You seem different."

Clenching her jaw, she bites back a response. She turns around with a forced smile. "I'm just tired. I'll see you tomorrow, ok?"

Josie frowns. "Stella, we need to talk—"

"In the morning," Stella snaps. When Josie's expression falls, she sighs. "Sorry. I'm just tired. See you later." Before Josie can say another word, Stella pushes her way out of the bathroom, pressing her back against the wooden walls. Reaching up to her lips, she closes her eyes and lets out a deep breath, tracing her mouth. "Until tomorrow, Josette."

Guys, I'm a little worried, to be honest. Things are heating up and I really hope I didn't go overboard with my character...

Hope you enjoyed and are staying safe!

-L