Chapter 15: Recovery

Chapter 15:

Recovery

"Perhaps I got too ahead of myself. I thought I could protect everyone under one single union, one home, and I was gravely wrong and for that I can only apologize from the deepest part of my heart of hearts. For those that suffered loss of kin, family and friends, know that I ache for you. I watched as old friends and advisors were slain in front of my eyes. All I could do was watch and defend myself, helpless to help those in need, being overrun by the scum that are the demons." The King began a speech in front of all of those who escaped the city.

"I can only be thankful that most of the farther out villages weren't schedule to arrive for another month, but now they are at risk of being overrun. I do not wish to put pressure on you all since we have only been here for a week, but we must recover ourselves and begin to help defend them against any attacks the demons may begin on them."

"Are you sure that is wise?" Ursine asked, standing in front of the crowd.

"What do you mean?" The King asked.

"Your Majesty, I know you believe in helping all those you can and I get the sense of justice you seek. But we must think about those in front of us now. What is your plan? To bring them all back here? What if we are attacked again? Surely we will not be able to save as many as we did last time." She answered wisely.

The King had to think on what she said for a moment. He knew she was right and that a repeat of Alexandria could happen but there was anxiety and overthinking running through his head.

Isaac watched as the King struggled to think of something to say and couldn't help but think that this was somehow his fault. Azro'kin stood beside him and looked down on him.

"I have an idea." He whispered.

"What is it?" Isaac whispered back.

"Go speak, I will back you up."

"W-what?"

"You are going to be Guardian, kid, you might as well start getting some recognition in now, and now is the time." He said pushing Isaac beside the King.

Blank stares watched Isaac as he stood there nervously. The King looked over to him, smiled and nodded. There was a bit relief for him now that Isaac was there, he wouldn't look like a fool alone.

Azro'kin walked up behind him and put his hand on his shoulder and watched as the crowd looked at him in horror.

"A demon!?" One person shouted.

"Why is there a demon here?" Another yelled.

"Please, please, I may have the appearance of a demon, but I assure you I am just as humble as this boy and the King. I know you all must still be feeling the dread of losing our beloved capital, but I assure you, from here on out we will plan more efficiently, more vigorously and we will not lose another battle!" He boldly said.

The morale of the crowd began to pick up a little bit. They could sense his feelings were just and that he wasn't just saying empty promises, there were meanings behind his words.

"I know will let this young man speak. Please listen to his words, he is young, but he is destined to be the next Guardian, so heed his words." He said passing the baton off to Isaac.

There was chatter among the crowd and Isaac lived a bit of recent déjà vu of when he began to evacuate them from the city.

"Hey, you're the guy from the stand in Alexandria!" One person called out.