Chapter 4: The Cat in the Sunset

Yaoyorozu Momo

The room smelled of cinnamon and lemon, and that was partly due to the tea I had on the nightstand. The rest was for the face masks Uraraka-san and me had on.

It was a Friday night of the first week of classes, and to be honest, we were both exhausted. Uraraka-san had it worse than me. Because of her major, Environmental Science, she had many classes to take. I soon discovered that she was one of those who gave not only an extra mile, but about five. Uraraka had about ten subjects a week, three hours each.

And it wasn't as if I had it better or more comfortable. My major was a bit softer, relatively, but that didn't mean that I was going to take it that way. I had, like her, an exorbitant amount of subjects. And the worst of it was that we were stuck in the basic cycle. Many of the classes we had were tedious things like Math 101, Philosophy or Biology 101. Things that didn't interest me especially, but that I would still have to endure.

And as our luck seemed to run out, we didn't share any classes. It was a succession of sad coincidences. If I took a class in the classroom on a Monday at two in the afternoon, Uraraka would take it in room B at nine in the morning on Wednesday. It was quite disappointing to discover that despite having several subjects in common, we didn't share any.

On the other hand, I shared a pair with a certain boy. It was one of the worst classes, Biology 101 at seven in the morning, when the sun was still lazily rising and the eyes were still sleepy. Without ignoring how little I liked that class, I took it with many medical students and from the science department in that building.

I remember how the first morning was, between coffee that was already cold, annoyance and a terrible headache, I lifted my head at the sound of his voice. Meeting my gaze with a smile, asking if the sit next to me was free.

Stop it, Momo. This kind of thoughts are the ones that lead to weird stuff. To don't want to freak him out. Stop, stop, stop...

Uraraka took me out of my trance as she turned away from me and turned to the mirror to adjust her face mask herself. I almost forgot that I was the one doing that task, so I apologized embarrassed, frustrated with myself for being like this.

"Maybe I shouldn't have forced you to spend time with me, Yaomomo, you look so tired and distracted. Although who wouldn't be? I am to the bone with all this myself ... "

She gave me a smile through the mirror with a sigh while spreading part of the remaining substance on her chin.

I sipped a little tea and gave her the reason. I was exhausted, but in a way, glad to feel all the effort.

Uraraka-san turned her head at every possible angle while trying to adjust the mask to every inch of her face and gave me a smile when our eyes met in the mirror.

"I won't deny it, it was time to have a free night to relax." I agreed letting myself fall on the bed, before putting my cup of tea on the table. "Do you have something to do tomorrow? I'm planning to go to the library to review the topics of Biology. I know nothing about it and that concerns me... "My voice came out rather like a yawn as I curled into bed. It was true that it was still early, but sleeping is something that one begins to value as it gets older.

I heard how my companion she snapped her tongue and I raised my head lazily to meet her distressed gaze. Were her cheeks flushed? How was that even possible to notice with the face mask on?

"Oh, I'm glad you invited me, I would really love to accompany you but ..."

There was no need to finish the sentence, I already knew what the reason was. The elevator boy. I giggled to myself as I heard her yell "It's not what you think, Yaomomo!"