Chapter 7: The Next Day

Fumikage Tokoyami

It must have been past midnight by now and I saw no hope of finishing studying anytime soon. It was a Friday night, and the next day was Saturday, so what was the problem?

That my stupid ass accidentally selected a class with a Saturday morning section. And I had the worst luck that I just got a "diagnostic test" this week. Honestly, I just wanted to go to sleep and forget about that stupid class. It wasn't even that important for my major, but I still knew that I would disappoint my parents if I failed a class just for laziness.

The bedroom was dark, lit only by the light from my laptop and cell phone, where I was reviewing my notes on Drive and listening to music while casually checking my cell phone. That way, I would  certainly never finish my studying but it was my "modus operanti" so I would have to make it work.

Midoriya, from whom I had finally learned the name, had fallen asleep a couple of hours ago. At around ten o'clock he returned to the dorm and closed the door to a female voice that said "th-Thanks Deku-kun for helping us!" He may be frankly clueless or he's using a flirting technique superior to mine since the girl denoted so much longing in a few words.

I liked Midoriya. He was socially awkward, but surprisingly inspiring and nice. He was kind to everyone and he offered me help whenever he could, which I used to reject since I could see at first glance that he already had a lot to worry about without my help.

I rubbed my eyes in an attempt to chase away the growing sleep. I still had a couple of units to go through before succumbing to this one. I checked the time on my cell phone when it started to ring. I almost dropped it as I cursed under my breath when I realized it wasn't on vibrator at this time of night. Without first checking the Caller ID, I answered the call with a grunt.

"Whoever you are, I must have pretended that i was sleeping, because this is not the time to bother me."

On the other end of the line there was electronic music in the background and a lot of noise.

"Tokoyami! Love, where are you! I don't feel good and I want to see you ... "

My blood ran cold and I removed the phone from my ear to confirm it was not sleep effects.

Kinoko

"Hun...I mean, Kinoko, have you been drinking?" I mumbled carefully. It was the second time that I neglected myself about her.

"A little bit ... but it's because you're not here! Hey! Do you remember what you said about not having babies? I want one, can we? "

I huffed and rubbed my eyes.

"Where are you, Kinoko?"

"It is a fabulous place! Why didn't you come with me? There are a lot of lights and music and a lot of people too! "

I swallowed hard and rolled my eyes closing my laptop and getting off the bed.

"Kinoko, listen to me. Are you alone? I need you to tell me where you are to go find you. "

I heard her scream with excitement and I put the phone away for a second until she stopped.

"I knew you would come back for me!"

My heart felt heavy and I bit my lip, ignoring her comment.

"Where are you?" I asked again. Kinoko mumbled the answer and I assured her that I was already on my way, to which she responded with "I knew you would come whenever I needed you, love" and she hung up, leaving me feeling empty.

***

The bar Kinoko was in was packed with people and it was almost impossible to find her. The lights barely illuminated anything and the sweaty bodies crashed into each other unpleasantly.