Chapter 6: The Other Cafeteria

Jirou Kyouka

I looked at the paper in front of me, neglected on the cafeteria table where I was, and huffed trying not to stress myself. There was a lot of noise around me, and not the pleasant kind. The crowd of people who gathered here at noon to eat cheap and more substantial food than Sugar & Honey croissants was not surprising but irritating.

I took a sip of my black coffee, the only thing that I could afford to drink throughout the day and looked around me anxiously, waiting for someone to approach me.

U. A. University had some of the best music programs in all of Japan...and it didn't deign to have a band of its own. It was unthinkable.

"There is going to be an intercollegiate competition in a month!" I yelled into the dean's office. "How am I going to participate without an university group!"

The man in front of me looked at me tired. His black hair was tousled and he seemed quite disinterested in what I was talking about. He rolled his eyes, I knew he wouldn't try anything to help me.

"If what you need is a college group," he began with a lazy wave of his hand, "then why don't you create one and that's it? You don't need me for that"

My roommate, Tsuyu Asui, was very kind to reject me, which made me quite discouraged because I needed at least five people to form the group.

Five people who knew how to play an instrument and would be interested in this, that is.

The table I was sitting at had a large (and expensive) sign, which cost me lunch today to print on the college stationery, that said "Band Members Wanted." I gritted my teeth as I remember how the manager charged me extra for the spaces between letters and additional color. It didn't even end up being too flashy an ad anyway.

My gaze scanned the cafeteria, trying to make eye contact with someone who might be interested, someone who would give me that musical vibe. Ugh, it shouldn't be that difficult in such a big place.

It was then that I saw a familiar ponytail in the crowd. The girl was with another short-haired girl who was pulling her wrist urgently. She hadn't changed that much since I last saw her and I sighed in relief.

"Momo!" I yelled leaving my table and trotting over to her.

Her gaze was still on the short haired girl, and she looked somewhat uncomfortable.

     "Ochako, I can pay you something at Sugar & Honey if you want. I don't like this place very much..." That Ochako girl made a face with a smile, downplaying Yaoyorozu.

"Money can buy many things, but good taste is not one of them. Also, this is a cafeteria, that is a café" The emphasis made was so weird, but it made me laugh how she contradicted Momo with such argument when I finally caught up with the girls.

"Momo, how long!"

Yaoyorozu turned around when I put my hand on her shoulder and smiled warmly.

"Kyouka! You never texted me, I thought I had done something wrong or ... "

"Or perhaps you just forgot to give me your number, silly," I finished with a laugh. "I've been looking for you since the tour. If you were like that with me, I wonder if you're still in touch with that sexy guy you hung out with. " I made an insinuative  face and the other short haired girl gave a little cry.

"A boy! Momo, you never said anything. I want all the details! "

Yaoyorozu looked stressed throughout the cafeteria and then at us reproachfully.
"Stop yelling, it's nothing..."