Chapter 5: The breakup

Fumikage Tokoyami

The breakup wasn't as hard for me as I thought it would be. Kinoko had posted a few sad quotes on her Tumblr page and it was honestly a pain in the ass to have all her friends texting me angrily to ask what was wrong with me. It was none of their business and none of my business to reply to them. Let Kinoko to handle her own attention seeking issues.

I did like Kinoko. We met in high school, although we didn't go to the same one. My friends convinced me to join them to a soccer game with them. As much as I didn't care nor wanted to go, I ended up going along and met Kinoko there, who was pretty much in the same situation as me. I guess we just clicked, we understood each other and eventually started dating.

However I know better than to let herself neglect her dreams and studies for me, because I know I wouldn't do the same for her. We're both going to study scientific majors; she's going with Mycology and I with Physics. And I know damn well that we're better off on our own, if that means she gets to do well during college.

I wasn't as heartbroken as her though, I guess that's due I saw this coming all along.

...

I had a terrible headache that was only getting worse with every beep-beep from my alarm. I groaned as I reached for my phone and turned the thing off. My roommate was already off to class, think he was called something like Midoria or something, I really didn't pay much attention to it. He had been fool enough to take a math class at 7:00 a.m. with a girl he liked.

I stared at the screen of my phone and saw it was already 9:30 a.m. I noticed too that I was tagged in an Instagram history, Kinoko's for sure. Probably some Instagram's memory or something I really didn't had time for.

I got dressed and took some coffee americano before heading out.

I had Physics 101 class three times per week and that was honestly my favorite class. The only time in the week when I actually learn something I care about.

The walk from the dorms to the Science building was fairly short. The only reason that made my classmates arrive late to our classes was that most of them would stop first by Sugar & Honey, the campus cafe. I'd usually avoid it since it was always a busy and loud place and it reminded me too much of Kinoko.

Today it was no different. When I arrived to the classroom only five minutes early, there was barely another soul. A red and white haired boy looked up from a book he was reading and gazed at me uninterestedly for about a second before returning to his book. There were a couple of girls chatting in the back still in sweatpants and messy buns. One of them reminded me of Kinoko. I frowned at that thought and blamed it on my lack of sleep.

However, as soon as I had picked a seat and threw my bag at it, I heard her voice calling at me from behind.

"Tokoyami-kun! Didn't expect you in such an early class!"

I turned around, already feeling the headache arise. It was weird to see her like that, wearing casual clothes instead of her polka dots dresses and with her hair up instead of loose. Could I blame myself? It was hard to when she looked so placid and was smiling at me so cheerfully.

"It's not really that early, lo-" Love. I swallowed at my almost mistake. Love. I'd always called her like that. When I joked around her, when I was trying to reassure her, when I told her an obvious fact...Love, she was my love. I cringed at that creepy thought. I had been the one to dump her, under a total racional reason. I had to keep my mind cool.

Kinoko didn't flinch at that, though I'm sure she noticed.

"It's not that early." I repeated. "It's always been you the one who finds it hard to wake up." I tried to lighten the mood referring to that, but it ended up sounding nostalgic. I wasn't nostalgic.