Promise We'll Be Okay

"Gerard, that was your mom, wasn't it?"

"Yeah, it was. Can we not talk about it?"

"Maybe she wants you still."

"I'm not finding out. For one, if she wants me now she should've wanted me then. Second of all, I'm not letting her get close to Mikey. He misses her more then me and she isn't going to screw things up for the kid when life is finally looking up for him." I could tell Gerard was angry and serious, so I dropped the subject.

We got back to where everyone else was, and we all watched the sun go down. It was the perfect way to end summer. We watched it end right before our eyes right next to eachother, where we should all be forever. I had my real family that would never leave me, and I just knew everything would be okay.

Franks mom came back and we loaded up the car. I was exhausted from the exciting day. I thought about what would happen at school. Gerard never talked about school much and when it was mentioned, he seemed to fear it almost.

We got into the back seat again and I layed my head on Gerards shoulder. He put his head on mine and put his hand on mine to. His other hand occupied by Mikeys knee. I began to slowly drift into unconciousness.

When I heard screams and jerked up. I felt like a deer in head lights when I saw the blinding light. Everything began to go into slow motion. "Mom!" Frank yelled. Ray was trying to be calm but turned his head and screamed. I looked at Gerard who was looking at me. "Cover Mikey!" Both our eyes went to him. His little body was curled up, and the scream coming from him broke my heart. "HELP ME!" I yelled.

For the first time, my life played out in my mind. I remember being a happy family, my dad walking away, the funeral, the broken and empty bottles, the beatings, Frank being my bestfriend, playing guitar with Ray, and then meeting Gerard and Mikey.

All of a sudden the car came to a stop. I unbuckled and began to cry. I wasn't sure if I was dead or not. Everybody was still around me, but it felt like I was all alone. "Frank," I whispered. He turned around in his seat, tears streaming from his green eyes. "Don't cry Chloe." It made me cry even harder. I got out of the car and just layed there and cried. Nobody came out for me, and I didn't care. They wouldn't understand. I wasn't even sure if Frank would.

The mear thought that my own father had gone through that, but worse, made me die a little inside. I had stopped breathing for a moment, I realized, when my heart began to pound and I could feel my lungs grasping for oxygen. I finally heard somebody get out of the car, but I didn't care who it was. I just wanted to be alone.

It was Gerard, but he didn't say anything. I looked at his converse and started to cry again. He wrapped me in his arms as I called for my dad inbetween sobs. I finally gathered myself together, and thought about what had been happening behind me.

I turned and saw Ray, blank faced with absolutley no expression. Frank was crying and talking to himself. Mikey just sat there with headphones in and his eyes shut tight. Franks mom was talking to a police officer that I hadn't noticed arrive.

"Gerard, what happend when I was.....gone I guess?"

"I held Mikey for a while and he finally stopped crying and asked if we would be okay. I told him everything would work out okay, and he put in headphones and blared the music. Ray hasn't moved or said anything. He just sits there staring out the windshield. Then there's Frank....." His voice trailed off. I hugged him and stood up. I needed to be there for Frank.

I opened the passenger door. "Any room for me?" He just silently cried and looked ahead at nothing in particular. I squeezed myself next to him and layed my head on him. I felt my own hot tears on my face. "Frank, promise me we're going to be okay? Promise me out dads are better off where they are now? Promise me...pro.....just...." I started crying and Fank hugged me tightly.

"Chloe, things are going to be just fine." We sat there crying for a long time, just waiting. I didn't know what we were waiting for. Just something to happen I guess.

I sighed when I was finished crying and looked in the mirror. I was a wreck and had a cut on my forehead where it had hit the seat in front of me. I closed my eyes and focused on only breathing. I was afraid if I lost focus I'd fade out. "Some way to start school, huh?" I looked up at Frank who was looking down at me, but not smiling. I nodded and just kept looking at him. "Don't ever leave me Frank, okay? I need my bestfriend around for me." He nodded and we went back to waiting on nothing.

When Franks mom got back she explained we would all go home now. Frank nodded and stared out the window, Ray nodded but never loss his stare, Mikey didn't hear I'm pretty sure, Gerard nodded and looked at me. I just sat there looking around the car.

We came to the Way's house, and Franks mom came to a stop. "Chloe, are you sure you're going to be okay?"

"I think we will be okay. Thank you for taking us to the beach." She looked at me with concerned eyes.

"You're always welcome at our house. So is Gerard and Mikey." I looked at Mikey sound asleep in Gerards arms. I hugged her tight and whispered thank you one last time before walking into the big and empty house.

Gerard set Mikey down on his bed and kissed his forehead. I ran my fingers through his hair and left the room. I walked to Gerards room with him and changed into my sweat pants. I sat on his bed at first, expressionless. Then he came and held onto me. "It's okay Chloe. I promise we will make it." He turned on my ipod and Hold On by Good Charlotte came on. I began to cry again, but slowly fell asleep.