chapter four - accent

For the past week Riley had been sitting with us every chance he could get, and if he wasn't there we would've guessed he was sitting with Ethan and the rest of the popular crowd.

"So Riley.. Do tell me what you think,"

He looks at me with a wary expression and shrugs, "I don't want to be hated on for my choice,"

Wes rolls his eyes at me, watching my evil face portray my thoughts,

"Maya, give him a break. He doesn't have to love every single one of the books you love,"

I scowl at Wes as he eats his apple across from me. Discussions on books we've read became a daily thing between Riley and I if Dakota was busy with her projects.

I look at Riley raising my brows to egg him on,

"Come on man, I'll let you off easy I swear,"

He looks at me with narrowed eyes, "Get off my back Maya,"

I groan in frustration and pick up a carrot stick and throw it at him naming him the biggest party pooper in existence. Riley catches it fluently and takes the dip in front of me along with it.

Stupid guys. Stupid accuracy.

"If you want to know my opinion so badly, why don't you give The Maze Runner another shot?"

I scrunch my face up in disgust, "I'd rather do my maths homework than push myself to read that,"

He delves into his repeated argument on how he thinks The Maze Runner is an amazing series and how perfectly crafted the entire world is and I begin to zone off.
I watch Wes fiddle with his overgrown blonde hair reaching past his forehead. It flops messily over his face, covering us from whatever he was doing on his phone.

"...And that's why you need to-"

"Wes, you need a haircut," I quickly quip

I whip my head in the direction of the peanut that was thrown at me. Staring at me with narrowed eyes and another one at the ready was an open mouthed, offended looking Riley.

"Were you even listening to me?"

I throw the peanut back at him, hitting him square on the nose I giggle, "I don't want to read The Maze Runner, I've told you plenty amount of times"

"Fine," he crosses his arms on the table, "I hated The Darkest Minds,"

"You haven't even read it! You can't base it off the movie!"

"I sure can if that's what you're doing!"

He yells back, his brown-hazel eyes widening with each word to defend. I wanted to smash his pretty face in and bury it in chocolate.

"Can you guys shut up? Like is it hard to not argue over fictional characters"

We whip our heads to look at Wes simultaneously, "Yes!"
At least that was one thing we agreed on.

Wes groans loudly placing his phone on top of the table, "can't we just change the topic I haven't spoken this entire break and it's tiring listening to you two,"

I grin at Wes and he shakes his head at me picking at his fruit bowl. Riley turns back to his lunch and flicks on his phone not knowing what to say. At times like these you really missed Dakota and her ability to speak nonsense out of nowhere.

"How long more until we can head home?"

Wes looks at his watch and brushes his hair back, "in about 15 minutes Dakota should be done,"