chapter twelve - damien

I let out a shaky breath. Looking at myself in the mirror, my palms flattening out and running down the sides of my dress. 

My outfit helped with the mood I was trying to play across, the only thing I liked about this date- dinner- whatever this was meant to be. My hair curled and pushed back with a red bandanna showcasing my dark eye makeup. I was happy with how Kate made it turn out, dark enough to look sleek and sexy but not caked. The last thing I wanted Damien to think I've turned out to be was an ABG.

I dressed myself, with Lee's brands only as per mom's request. I had a dark black floral maxi dress that had double slits down both sides and wore a black turtle neck underneath. I layered a few of my own personal gold necklaces and put in a chain earring by Louis Vuitton. 

I grabbed my jacket and checked the time before bagging my phone and heading out my door. My boots click against the marble stairs going down to find a waiting Wes and Rom.

Rom was the first to see me, "Hey gorgeous, you ready?" Although he grinned, I could see the anxiety in his eyes. 

I smiled back, happy to have the two there for me.

"It's now or never" smoothing down my dress once again.

"You're sure you don't want me and Rom at a table there? We can keep it real low, trust"

I picture the two hiding behind big menus but, "No, I don't want Damien to feel as if he's being watched, especially with you two, you might as well be throwing daggers at him,"

"I was thinking paper balls but daggers sound better" Rom muses moving off the couch and heading towards the door.

Wes slings an arm around me following after Rom towards the door. I could feel my anxiety rising quickening my breathing.

"Wait wait, give me a second"

Couldn't even make it out the front door. I bent over taking a deep breath in and holding it before slowly exhaling hoping to slow my breathing a little.

Wes and Rom look back at me, eyes full of concern, "Maya, we don't have to do this. You don't have to. You know you don't have to."

"Yeah cancel it hun, he doesn't deserve this. Stand him up. Cancel it. Reschedule it. This is your choice not his."

Holding my hand up silently asking for them to be quiet. I focus on my breathing.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Anxiety fucking sucked.

With one last intake of breath I stood tall and straightened my dress, walking towards Wes' Jeep and ignoring the concerning glances. I wished Dakota was here with me too, but she decided it might be too confronting for her at this point so she planned a night out with Riley who apparently might bring Ethan.

Reaching for the door, I tugged at the handle to find it unlocked already and moved inside

Wes hops into the driver's seat and starts the engine,

"I thought I was meant to be shot gun" Rom mumbles. I turn to face him and he grins at me the largest, scariest smile one could make. 

That's what I thought.

"Okay so Dakota and Riley and possibly Ethan will be there to pick you up"

"That way if I come home crying, you two won't be there to bash him?" I quirk looking over at Wes steering. He purses his lips neither confirming or denying.