chapter seven - royal pain

The drive home was silent and filled with endless amounts of thoughts. Dakota had to go home with Wes and Rom having wanted to stay a little longer. My anxiety couldn't take it.

I close the door behind me and drop my keys into the dish beside the door.

"Mom?" I call out into the seemingly empty household, "Kate?"

When no one responds I continue to walk inside and turn into the kitchen before the living area,

"Well hello little sis,"

I drop my shouldered bag onto my arm in surprise, scowling at the 6'3 homeless looking man residing in the kitchen. Splayed out in front of him was Nutella and a loaf of sliced bread.

"What the hell Col?" I say dropping my bag further into my hand and dropping it on the bar stool.

He smiles at me giggling muttering a slight 'gotchu' continuing to spread Nutella onto the freshly toasted pieces of bread. Coltan graduated 2 years ago and now went to college a drive away at the University of Southern California.

He gorged down the entire half sandwich sighing slightly at the taste. I stare at him in disgust as he smiles a chocolate covered toothy smile. He points at me the way he does when he wants to tell me something he just remembered.

"Uh uh uh mister, finish the food in your mouth first,"

He pulls a childish face at me and begins to look determined to finish his mouthful. I look at the boy before me dressed in a baggy green shirt and sweatpants and envy the idea that mom couldn't care less about what he wears.

Much like the Nutella he was currently scuffing down, Coltans' eyes were a dark brown inherited from mom, his hair light brown tufts from dad making him look the most caucasian out of the three of us. Josh, our youngest brother had dark black hair from mom and hazel eyes from dad making him look the most mixed. I however, look completely alike to mom, my long thick dark black hair and ever brown eyes missed the white gene my dad could've shared with me.

"Momma said she would be in her study waiting for you," He says finally finishing his food.

I sigh deeper at the news, knowing it wasn't even a living-room-lecture but a full on private in-the-study talk.

Coltan notes my discomfort, "Do you want one to cheer you up?" He asks picking up the butterknife and pointing it toward me.

I shake my head knowing milkshakes and cupcakes were enough to give me a colourful hurl. He shrugs in response continuing to make a second batch.

Deciding it's time to go up and face her, I grab my bag and pull it over my shoulder,

"Wish me luck," I say over my shoulder, pausing I turn to Col, "is that my jar?"

He looks at me like a deer caught in headlights, "I swear I'll get you another one! I ran out I'm sorry!"

My eyes narrow at him unable to deal with him with the amounts of anxiety clouding over me, I resort to flipping him the bird as I climb up the stairs. Stupid Coltan stealing my stuff all the time.

I quickly swung my bag into my room as I pass it on the way to the study. Knocking twice hesitantly I push open the heavy white door.

"Maya?"

I let go a breath I didn't know I had been holding.

"Yes mom?" I step around from behind the door and swiftly shut it behind me. I walk towards her glass table, each step filled with nerves.

"Hey baby,"

Hold on.. Baby? She only calls me baby when she's 1, in a really good mood or 2, in need of something.
My eyes narrow slightly as I sit down in front of her.