childhood excerpts

Author's Note:

I have decided to include small flashbacks involving the 5 kiddos for the fun and love of it before the big chapter.  I want to hint at how deep their roots with each other ran.
Hope you love baby them as much as I do xo

At the age of 8

Damien giggled following after Maya into her fort stacked high with stories within pages she'd collected from her dad's study. Books on top of books covered in thin layers of bed sheets and blankets, a perfect cover from the outside world. 

He followed her deeper into the winding castle until finally cushion galore, a lazy looking Will and Rom splayed on top of the pillows. 

She had stopped abruptly, pouting that Will and Rom had already grown bored of their creation. Damien felt it, his little eyes yearning to see her excited smile again, without thinking, he pounced on top of the two of them bringing a pillow down with him. Immediately giggles started again and all four of them started a war against the fluff.

At the age of 12

Dakota wasn't sure if she wanted anything to do with them. Three boys and one girl, she bet they all had feelings for the girl. Rom had pushed her earlier that day trying to get in line for ice cream before all the others, she did not want to shove him back especially after feeling the dampness rub off his soccer shirt. Now she was meant to play nice just cause her mom made friends with the other mom? No way. 

Days later, Dakota was the one shoving Rom around. She made sure she got the ice cream before he did. Damien, Will and Maya had giggled every time it happened.

At the age of 14

Someone had called Maya a racial slur today. Her eyes were nothing to be made fun of, neither was the lack of chest she had. Damien had made sure the boy apologised, so did Rom.
Will, who now went by Wes (insisting that it was cooler), went through all the kid's homework and redid all the answers so it turned out wrong. 

Dakota simply sat with Maya assuring her it was fine, as she had no growth in the area either.