A sneak peek at My Father's Daughter: The Life of Alexis Moriarty

CHAPTER ONE
Alexis straightened her jumper as she walked out of her room and into the hallway. Forensics and police filled every inch of the sitting room. Sherlock was talking the ear off an officer as she desperately tried to scribble down everything he was saying. Greg was pointing out certain things to his team of forensics. Molly was talking to a paramedic, who was looking at her injuries.

Only a week ago, Alexis' life was normal. Well, as normal as life got for her. She finally had a good home, people who loved her, and she had even received a Christmas present from a boy she fancied. Now there were cops filling her sitting room and her father was in the hospital. She felt a tear fall down her cheek and wiped it away, not wanting to seem weak.

"It's a little overwhelming, isn't it, Alexis?" John asked softly, making her jump a bit. He turned and smiled at her warmly. "Crime scenes like these are usually no big deal for me, but this one is taking quite a tole."

"Tell me about it..." Alexis muttered, shoving her hands in the pockets of her jeans. She looked back over at Sherlock, who was starting to get frustrated with the officer. "Is he usually like this on cases?"

"Who, Sherlock?" John followed her gaze and shook his head. "No, not usually... He usually doesn't bother with this many people on the case with him. But he wanted the extra help. He wants to catch this maniac as fast as he can." He turned back towards her and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "He cares about you a lot, which is a big deal for Sherlock. He doesn't care about anyone."

"Except you." Alexis turned to John and smiled softly. "He cares an awful lot about you."

He blushed a bit and cleared his throat. "Don't worry, though, okay?" He stated, changing the subject. "We'll find this guy soon and then it will all be over."

She nodded her head, watching Sherlock again. "Thank you, John..." She turned to him again, her face a bit serious. "I think I'm going to go see my dad."