Chapter 3-A

“I’m late. I’m late. I’m late,” Madison chanted as she charged downstairs and flung her backpack on the kitchen counter. Grabbing a bowl, she filled it with cereal and a splash of milk. Shoveling the sugary flakes in, she paced, willing herself to chew faster.

“Slow down before you choke and I have to perform CPR,” her dad admonished, turning the page of the local newspaper.

She gurgled an unintelligible response then took another bite.

“You wouldn’t be rushing if you’d gotten up when I woke you,” her mother said, strolling into the kitchen. Her badge and gun was proudly on display on her right hip.

Madison gave her mother the evil eye and swallowed. “I got up,” she insisted. “And I don’t need you to wake me. I have my alarm set.”

“Which you snooze at least ten times. Honestly Madison, if you’d just get up instead of lying there…” she heaved a sigh and grabbed the coffee carafe, pouring herself a cup. “I better not be getting a call from school today saying you were tardy.”

“I’ve never been late to school before.”

“Then I suggest you not start.” She held the cup between both hands, letting the heat warm her up. “And what kind of breakfast is that? Sugar and more sugar. You should be eating something nutritional.”

The criticism rankled. In defiance, she scooped more into her mouth and gave her mother a wide smile.

“Brat,” her mother said affectionately and kissed the top of her head. “Behave at school today.”

“When have I not? I’m an exemplary student. All my teachers love me.”

“Such modesty.” Her mother took a seat next to her father. “Our daughter must get that from you.”

“Oh no,” he protested, putting the paper down. “That is all you dear. Like mother, like daughter.”

Madison grimaced while her mother chuckled. “That reminds me, I saw a cute boutique by the boardwalk the other day. I thought maybe after school we could check it out. You need some new clothes.”

Madison looked down at her jeans and t-shirt. “What’s wrong with my clothes?”

“Besides the fact that they have holes in them?”

“They’re supposed to have holes in them.”

“You look like a hoodlum.”

She rolled her eyes. Ripped jeans and a long sleeve plaid button down over a white tank top hardly qualified her as a hoodlum. “I think you’re overreacting.”

“And I think you need some new clothes.” The way she crossed her arms and set her jaw meant there was no room for argument.