Griffin Johnson•Oneshot•What? Part 2

Layne is 19 and Griffin is 20.
Layne POV
   "Because the last person I told became abusive."
   Griffin is silent for a few long, unbearable minutes. Then, I hear him breathe out a shuddering breath.
   "What?" he asks in a low growl. His hands move down from my stomach and onto my thighs, gripping tightly, but not painfully. "Who?"
   "Well, you know growing up I didn't have many friends," I tell him. "And my mom died when I was five, so I was left with my dad. Well, at school, I had been getting bullied since about the third grade. It kept getting worse, and in about sixth grade it felt unbearable. Just having to put up with them every day made me miserable."
I take a pause to breathe, and Griffin kisses the side of my head and squeezes my thighs.
"And then at home, my dad," I begin, then shake my head.
"Take your time," Griffin whispers.
"My dad has started coming home drunk, angry. He was mad about losing my mom, wanted to have someone to screw, I guess."
"Babe?" he asks wearily. I think he's realized I'm going into talking about something that I can't take back once it's out there.
"So because he was angry he would beat me," I whisper, then start crying again. Griffin hugs me tighter to his chest. "And then he would r-r-rape me. And touch me. But he was so much bigger than me, always drunk and angry, so I was to afraid to do anything, tell anyone. He wouldn't let me eat, kept saying I was fat. Kept saying I deserved it."
I can feel his chest shaking with silent sobs behind me. I realize my shoulder is wet, too. I've never seen him cry until today.
"And I started cutting myself towards the end of sixth grade. I tried to kill myself multiple times because I couldn't put up with everything. And then I got into high school. It was the spring of my sophomore year, and I had met this guy named Matt. We started dating. It went okay for about a month. Then over the summer he started getting drunk, too. Started doing the same things my dad did-beating me, r-raping me. He would make me dress up in these tight, skimpy dresses to go to his friends' party. He'd get drunk, screw some other girl. And the only reason I didn't leave him is because I couldn't."
I turn my head in his direction so that I can see his face. He's crying silently, face angry. Then he asks quietly, "Why couldn't you leave?"
"He said he would kill me." I turn my head away again. "Late in my senior year, I had some kind of mental breakdown. I told him about everything, with my dad and the other people at school and all the suicide attempts. And he told me I was a screwed-up, depressed mess, that he didn't want to be seen with me again. He broke up with me at our graduation."
I sigh. "I tried again that night, after I found my dad dead from his overdose. I didn't feel anything at that point. I had been anorexic for years, had been cutting myself since the sixth grade. I didn't want to live. But it didn't work. The next day I got TikTok." I smile at that. "I didn't realize how good it would be for me. I was on the for you page, and I saw one of yours on there. I mad a few that night, and I really liked it for some reason. By the end of the week I already had a thousand followers. Kind of crazy, I think. Then my first week of college, I got asked to join Lights Out tour. And then we met three months after that, the first day, and started dating another three months later. And now it's been two months." I turn around completely so that I'm facing him. I give him a sad smile, my face still wet. I grab his hands when he doesn't look at me or say anything.
"Babe?" I ask quietly. "What-What are you thinking?"
Griffin sighs, then takes a hand back to wipe the tears off his face. He holds my hands against his forehead, kissing my knuckles. "I love you."
"I love you, too, baby. Are you okay?"
He pulls in a shuddering breath. "I'm-I'm trying to process this. I'm sorry." Griffin kisses my knuckles again.
"That's okay, baby. That's okay." I squeeze his hands.
"Can I see them?" he asks, rubbing my wrists.
"Uhm, they go up pretty far." I pull my knees up to my chest and rest my elbows on them.
"Babe," he breathes. He looks in my eyes. "Just your arms?" I shake my head. "Where?"
"My thighs and the sides of my stomach." I look at him. "I'm sorry, baby. Please don't be mad at me."
"I'm not mad at you. No, I'm not mad." Griffin pulls me against him and hugs me. I start shaking. Not crying, just shaking.
"They're so ugly. There are so many of them and they're just so ugly."
"Don't say that, baby. Don't say that." He pushes me up into a sitting position, then moves my arms from my chest. He grabs the end of my shirt and slowly pulls it over my head, then tosses it to the side.
"Griffin," I begin. "They're really ugly. Please don't."
"Nothing on you could be ugly. Nothing." He pulls my wrists out so he can see my arms. Then he begins kissing all over them. All over my scars.
"I'm sorry that I wasn't there to help you through all that. But I'll be here to help you now. I'm sorry. But I love you, okay? All of you." He moves his hands up to cup my face. "I love you."
"I love you, too. So much, baby."
We end up falling asleep, me against his chest with his arms around me. We get woken up a few hours later by a knock at the door.
"Who is it?" Griffin calls.
   "Payton. We decided that we were going to try and stay up all night, so we are going to the store for reinforcements. Wanted to know if you two wanted to join?"
   Griffin looks at me with a raised eyebrow.
   "I'll do it if you do," I whisper.
   "We're in," he calls to Payton.
   "Great. We're meeting in the lobby in ten minutes." We hear his footsteps retreating back down the hall as doors close.
   "I guess we should get ready," I tell Griffin, sliding off his lap. I look at my phone on the nightstand and see that it's just past 8.
   "You can take the bathroom. I'm just going to find my shoes." He puts his glasses on and looks around. "I know they're somewhere."
   "You look cute with your glasses on." I smile at him and kiss his cheek. Then I go over to my duffel on the floor and pull out black leggings and a long sleeved snug black shirt. I change in the bathroom and brush my hair out, putting my glasses back on. I see Griffin's hoodie hanging up and put it on. It's really big on me, but I like it.
   "Well aren't you cute," Griffin says as I exit the bathroom. He had just finished putting shoes on.
   "Hmm, I think you are much cuter."
   "Nah." He shakes his head. I smile as I slide my black Vans on.
   "Okay, I'm ready," I say after grabbing my phone and sticking it in my pocket with my wallet.
   "Let's go." We head out the door and he grabs my hand, swinging it a little. "I've got a secret."
   "And what is it?"
   "I love you. Oh, that might not have been a secret." He grins at me and I laugh.
   "You're funny, Griff. Real funny."

Part 3 coming soonish (probably) because I love Griffin and I want to write more of him.