Brakina

The Brakina are recognizable by their teal hued skin, their long, cylindrical bodies topped with small clusters of protruding horns, a hinge-like jaw system supporting a single large eye at its center. Their stout bodies are supported by three small, muscular legs with sponge like feet at each of their bases.

The Brakina are an incredibly intelligent yet slightly unorthodox species. They evolved on a small planet that is covered with a thin layer of liquid methane, so their feet evolved with sponge like qualities that absorb the liquid and keep their bodies adequately hydrated. It is for this reason that the Brakina are rarely observed outside of their home world.

The large jaw of the Brakina is very fragile and incredibly venerable, considering it houses all of the sensory organs such as the brain within it. However, in several well recorded incidents throughout history, a Brakina has had its jaw separated from the body though unmediated events. In all the incidents, the Brakina body and mind continue to live on (despite being separated) as long as they are reconnected surgically within approximately 336 hours.

One report clams of an older Brakina that suffered an injury that separated its jaw from its body while it was working on a particularly laboring chore. The Brakina then promptly sent its jaw home to rest, leaving its brainless body to continue working until it could find time to reconnect the two body parts.