five

I slowed to a walk to Kokichi's room. It was farther than I remembered.

I saw his name plate gleam in the evening sunlight, stopping me from knocking immediately. I shook my head and knocked softly.

No answer.

Confused, I knocked again, but louder this time. I heard a small thump on the other side of the door, then footsteps that suggested he was running, then the door opened, slowly.

It stopped moving barley an inch away from the door frame. "W-Who is it?" I heard on the other side of the door.

"Um, Shuichi? I just wanted to know why you weren't-"

Suddenly, the door swung open violently and revealed Kokichi, fiddling with a band-aid on his finger and not wearing his scarf.

"Sorry sorry sorry!! I-I didn't mean to keep you w-waiting.. it's my fault, I-I'm sorry... I'm such a disappointment..." he spat out, muttering the last part.

"What did you say?" I asked.

"A-Ah! Uh.. nothing..."

"No, I heard that. Come here," I said softly, not wanting to scare him.

He shuffled towards me, flinching as if he were expecting me to hit him or something.

Instead, I kneeled down to his level and pulled him into a hug. He seemed surprised at first, but slowly melted into it.

"Look at me," I said. He looked up at me with small tears in his eyes. He squeezed them shut.

"Look at me, Kokichi."

He opened his eyes and stared right into mine. They were full of fear, sadness, and confusion.

"You are not a disappointment. Where on earth did you get that idea?" I asked.

"Um, f-from you..?" he said quietly.

I stood there, stunned. What did he mean? I don't remember saying that. I would never say that to anybody! What was he on about?

"Hey! Get a f**king room, you two!" yelled Miu, making me jump. Jeez.

Everyone had come back to their rooms at this point. However, no one was outside except for Kaito, Miu, and Kaede.

"What's going on?" asked Kaede. I stood up and started to walk to her to explain, but felt a tug on my sleeve.

I turned around and there was Kokichi, gripping my arm, his big eyes pleading me not to leave him. I gently pulled his hand off, restraining him from grabbing onto me again. He stood quietly in the doorway.

I went over to Kaede, who had an even more confused expression on her face. She tilted her head. "What just happened?"

"I'm 99.9% sure that Kokichi just got his memories back."