𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵

LILLIE GIGGLED LOUDLY as she drew around jess who lay on the floor pretending to be dead

LILLIE GIGGLED LOUDLY as she drew around jess who lay on the floor pretending to be dead. "stop moving! you're making me mess up."

"we can't have a wonky fake corpse." he laughed, staying still as he smirked up at her. he watched as the blonde girl nibbled on her bottom lip as she concentrated. his smirk tuned into a smile noticing her improved mood, feeling happy that it was somewhat because of him.

"aaaand done!" she smiled brightly, pulling the teen boy up with a proud smile on her face as she looked at the body outline on the pavement. "taylor is gonna kill us." she grinned, wiping the chalk off of her hands onto her dress making a mess of it.

jess chuckled, "then would it be too preemptive to do two more outlines?" he joked, turning to her, laughing softly as he saw the chalk on her face.

"what?"

he lifted his hand to her cheek, taking his time to wipe the chalk dust off her face causing her cheeks to quickly change from white to pink. he coughed awkwardly, taking his hand back covering up the discomfort with a laugh. "you're covered in chalk."

she caught her breath, letting out a laugh similar to jess'. "o-oh thanks." she stammered trying to regain her composure.

"so what now?" he asked, lillie tilting her head simply in confusion. "well, do you want to go home-" before he could finish his sentence, she shook her head quickly, shoving her hands in her jacket pockets. "okay, got it." he nodded in understanding.

"just a couple more hours." she said, looking at her shoes. she didn't want to go home while her parents were still up.

"come on then, blondie." he said walking off suddenly, she jogged to catch up to him.

"where are we going?" she asked only to receive no answer in return. he suddenly stopped at a bench. "we gonna stare at our shoes?" she joked referencing to their first conversation. he answered by simply pulling a book from his back pocket. "iliad?"

he sat on the bench, patting the spot next to him. "it's actually not that bad." she raised her brow at him. "you enjoying hemmingway?" he smirked up at her opening the book before patting the spot next to him.

the girl sat down with a tired smile, "yeah. he's cool." lillie yawned, feeling the exhaustion of dealing with her parents wash over her.

jess noticed this and offered her a timid smile, "you can lie down if you want."

lillie nodded sleepily, immediately resting her head on jess' lap, her legs stretched out and propped up on the other arm of the bench. "comfy." she hummed, closing her eyes, missing the smile jess was giving her before he began to read aloud to her.

the two stayed like that til midnight. feeling safe in one another's company as the rest of the world slept away.

•·················☆·················•

the next day, lillie was walking with rory and lane through stars hollow, the blonde girl yawning frequently still tired from the night before. she didn't tell rory about the night she spent with jess, knowing full well the gilmore would just tease her incessantly about it, instead telling her best friend she was up late spending time with her dad. luckily, rory didn't notice the jacket lillie was wearing in fact, belonged to jess.

"so, janie ferman's trying to be my friend again." lane says.

"oh yeah, she started being nice to me as well. she's the worst." lillie groans, while rubbing her eyes.

"yikes, what kind of vibe are you giving her?" rory asked.

"oh, my patented keith richards circa 1969 'don't mess with me' vibe, with a thousand-yard asian stare thrown in." lane answered making lillie smirk in approval.

"that should do it." rory nodded before the tree girls noticed the crowd surrounding doose's and the police car pulled up outside making lillie struggle to hold back her laugh.

"what's happening up there?" rory says before they walk closer, lillie hiding a smirk as she watched taylor argue with the policewoman. she looked away, her eyes meeting a certain boy's who stood across the street.

"i'll see you later ror." lillie smiled not paying attention to her friend's response before leaving and heading over to the smirking boy. "well haven't we turned the town on it's head." she smiled at the other.

"seems that way." he grinned back. "i can't say i've ever seen a man that red. luke doesn't even go that red." jess joked, watching taylor with a smug smirk.

the teen girl laughed before noticing the bruise on the boy's face. "oh my god! is that from me?" she asked pointing to his cheek.

"it's no big deal."

"it looks painful."

"it doesn't even hurt."

"i'm sorry." she apologised for the 112th time.

jess chuckled shaking his head, "don't worry about it blondie. i won't mess with you, now that i know you pack a punch."

"you know it city boy. get on my bad side and you'll get a matching one on the other cheek." lillie laughed before glancing back over to the crowd seeing rory looking over at her. "rory definitely finds it funny." she commented turning back to jess.

"oh yeah? little miss perfect has a sense of humour?" he asks raising an eyebrow at the blonde making her frown at him.

"jess. don't be mean." she glared watching as he rolled his eyes. "and of course she has a sense of humour, we wouldn't be friends if she didn't."

he nodded, staring at her for a moment, noticing the slight puffiness of her eyes, before speaking. "did you get enough sleep when you got home?" he asked, concern laced in his tone.

she shrugged simply, "i guess."

"you look tired." he said with a frown, a small smile making its way onto her face at his concern.

"i may be so sleep deprived that i have become delirious or is city boy actually worried about me?"

"please."

lillie gasped theatrically, pressing her hand to her heart. "i'm touched, truly." she laughed as he fought a smile.

"you are a dork." he stated bluntly making her gasp dramatically again before proceeding to dramatically protest.