Chapter 2: Memory Bank

Stanford picked up the tools and began to fix the machine, replacing the broken parts with brand new ones. He worked quietly and quickly, happy inside his head space, and finished up his job rather fast.

He grunted as he tightened the last loose screws on the side and wiped the sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand, "There, done" he muttered, sitting back on the floor to gaze at it as he rested. He put the wrench back in the tool box and stood up, wiping the grease off his fingers with a smile. Bill was thankfully still asleep as he carefully picked him up off the table.

The boy whimpered softly as Ford put him on the wheeled desk chair and rolled him over to the machine, picking up the helmet and placing it on Bill's head, "Now to see inside," he muttered, flipping a few switches. Dipper came down into the room, two steps at a time as he hurried down the stairs. He placed his navy blue journal on the empty bench and grinned, "Hey Grunkle Ford!"

Ford put a finger to his lips "Shh, I just had an idea. Bill's still asleep so try to be quiet," he said, pointing to the memory encryption machine. Dipper cocked his head to the side and was about to ask Stanford what he meant by his idea when the man continued, "I've made it so it shows memories, rather than encrypts them" he said, looking chuffed and proud.

Dipper grinned, "That's awesome!" he said a little too loud. He winced and covered his mouth as Bill grumbled, but thankfully didn't wake him from his slumber. Stanford let out a breath "Shall we have a little fun?" he asked, Dipper nodded.

Stanford pressed a button and turned the dial slowly back, "Lets see how far back this goes" he mumbled as the screen buzzed with static. 

There was a click, and a video popped up:

"Oh my Billy, you silly child" a woman's voice said as the toddler on the floor sniffled, tears running down his face as he held his scrapped up knee. Hands reached down and picked him up, soothing him with hugs and kisses. The woman was wearing settler's clothing. Bill, buried his head into the woman's chest as he sobbed, "It's okay sweetie, Mamas here baby" the mother soothed.

Stanford gasped at the screen, "Bill was human..." he mumbled, not quite believing it. Dipper nodded his eyes wide as the memory continued:

"We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when, but I know we'll meet again some sunny day" Billy's mother sung softly, gently tapping Bill's nose softly. Billy looked up at his mother and smiled back and the woman kissed his forehead and wiped away the tears with a hand, "You're my silly Billy" she said, tickling him till he giggled.

Stanford turned the dial forward more looking for something else to view:

"RUN WILLIAM!" Bill's Mother yelled from afar, frantic and fearful as the men burst into the house.

"Get the kid, Fredrick!" a voice urged as an older Bill tried to escape through his window in his bedroom. His toy's lay forgotten on the floor, the wooden blocks and animals beautifully carved from treated pine wood. Fredrick hurried into the room and grabbed the back of Bill's pale yellow button-up shirt as he was halfway out and pulled him back. 

The 9 year old screeched and struggled in his grip, letting out a yell as he was thrown roughly to the floor. Fredrick grabbed for him once more and lifted him up, "Let me go!" Bill growled angrily, swiping at him with a fist.

"No"

Fredrick dragged him out the house and across the grass, away from home, away from his Mama. The woman, Bill's mother, was on the lawn, being held back by some men in clean-cut suits. They didn't appear to be bothered by the wriggling woman in their grip, "MAMA! Mama, please! Help me!" he screeched, struggling harder. Fredrick laughed and shook him a little, "Relax, Bill Cipher, this is just the beginning of a better life, don't you want to rule the world!? Don't you want to be the most powerful being in the universe!? Rule the multiverse however you please!?" the man asked with an insane grin and a wild look in his almost golden brown eyes, his free hand clenched into a fist as his mind drifted to what the future would hold for him.