Chapter Eighteen

Juma'at Mubarak guys. Enjoy :)

•••

"Sorry, I was thinking that you snuck out and the guards will find you and take you back. Then you'll never be allowed to come out again and I won't see you anymore." Lami muttered as she wiped her tears.

"Oh my God. You're still as silly as ever. I thought you outgrew this imagination of yours." Mustapha huffed out a chuckle.

It stung a bit to be called silly, even though there was no heat in Mustapha's tone. But Lami took everything Mustapha said to heart, so it still hurt.

"I don't know. You're walking around in the evening with a girl who claimed to ditch the first minutes I met her. Shouldn't I be a bit concerned?" Lami replied.

Mustapha raised a brow, "Halima's not a student." He said.

Oh, maybe she was his half-sister then. "I see."

"I think you should go back to your shopping if you're not done. I'm going back to school anyway, sorry she dragged you here." Mustapha instructed.

"I'm done actually, it's still not dark so I'll come to your school. You'll show me around won't you?" If he left now, she knew that she'll always be walking around the market just to catch a glimpse of him. But the market was huge, and she wasn't sure he will always be in the market.

She can't really live with the knowledge of him being in the same town as her and not be able to see him at all.

"They don't let visitors after 5 in the afternoon. And it's already Sunday." He replied, tucking his hand in his pocket,while the other holds the Coke.

"Then I'll see where the school is and I'll come next week." Lami smiled at him.

"Seriously,Amina, it's okay. I don't want to be a bother to you. Just go home." Mustapha said in a voice adults use to explain things to kids.

He didn't mean anything by it, she knew that, but the words made something twist inside of her.

"You can never be a bother to me, not when-" her voice trembled, thick with emotion.

You can never be a bother to me, not when I was a bother to you when you were so young.

But she never completed her sentence,she stood there  as her body shook with so much anger.

No, if she was honest, she was more sad than angry. She found him, she didn't even have a proper conversation with him and he's telling her to go home.

"Lami, just go home-"

"And what?!" She spat. "Go home and what? Yaya Musty." She gritted her teeth and lowered her voice when she realized she raised it.

He was taken aback by her outburst.

"Sleep? Forget about you? Regret it in the morning? No, I'm coming with you to your school whether you want me to or not. I'll look for you myself next week. Unless- unless you don't want me to." She continued,then pinned him with her stare.

"Fine then, let's hurry up and go so you'll go back home before it gets dark." He sighed in surrender and started walking.