17: Obsolete Fragments

= "Past and present makes up the 'me' today" =

.

❄ - ⭐ - ❄

.

"Hmn?"

The man resting against his comfortable chair raised an eyebrow in what could be understood as a mild surprise. However, his action was far too short and within seconds, the expression had vanished from his pale visage.

"Takahiro died."

He muttered as a matter of fact, plum red eyes gazing at the bright moon glaring at the landscape covered in darkness. Thin lips pulled into an amused smirk. His deep voice reverberating against the walls of his enormous study room.

"Mizuki did him in, huh. Or he specifically went there to get killed by her. Such a fool."

He continued muttering to himself, the curl on his lips never vanishing as a momentary bubble of laughter erupted from his throat. Leaning his back lazily against the soft material of his chair, his eyelids dropped.

"I shall give her a present then. For a job well done."

With a lowered voice, he continued.

"It's about time. Remember me, Mizuki."

His musings were interrupted when the door to his study room went open. A little girl came running towards him, jumping at him in glee. With his fast reflexes, he caught the little girl in his arms with little to no difficulty at all.

"Papa, what are you doing?" The child tilted her head innocently at the side, her clear and bright eyes staring at him with curiosity. "Why are you smiling?"

"Because I am happy." He answered, looking down at the child on his arms.

Another person entered the study room. A woman looked so distressed as her eyes frantically searched for the little girl who ran away from her side.

"Tsukihiko-san, I'm sorry. I told her not to go and disturb you." She apologized, moving inside the study room to take the little girl away from the man called Tsukihiko. But he just smiled warmly at her worried gaze, giving her a sense of relief that he wasn't disturb the least.

"It's alright, Rei-san. I'm not doing anything important."

Watching him with a warm gaze, Rei's lips also curled into a warm smile. The picture perfect scene of a father and his child perfectly etching itself in her memory. She silently wished that moments like this would last forever. Although, there was one thing that she had noticed. Tsukihiko is obviously delighted about something.

It's very rare for her to see him this happy.

"You look so happy, Tsukihiko-san." She noted, the smile on her charming visage never left.

"Am I really that obvious?"

"Somewhat. Yes."

The gaze of Tsukihiko's plum red eyes shifted back to the little girl on his arms. She was still watching him with those curious gaze that looks like his secret will be exposed to her at any moment.

"Something good is about to happen. That's why."

As the words left his mouth, one of his hands gently patted the little girl on her head. The action looked so affectionate that just by watching them, Rei felt her chest overwhelmed with warmth.

"It's good then. I'm happy for you." Rei spoke, still watching them.

"Let's all go out." Tsukihiko suddenly announced, catching her off guard. Rapidly blinking her eyes, Rei stared at Tsukihiko as if he had grown two heads. Chuckling at her dumbfounded expression, the man gently caressed her face before turning back to the child.