Falling of the sands of time

King~ Ch. 3

A hollow tapping sound echoed around her room, causing Amice to look up from where she was feathering her arrows.

"Yes?" She called.

"My lady. I was just hoping to check to see if you have everything you need for the evening?" Replied the kings voice.

"Come in if you wish, let us not speak through oak." She grinned to herself as he almost timidly opened one of his own castle doors.

"My apologies, I know it is late."

"Late? There is no such thing."

"But it is nightfall."

"Yes, but there is so much that can still occur under the blanket of night. The setting of the sun does not end the falling of the sands of time."

"That it does not." He said, still standing awkwardly in the doorway.

"Right. Enough. If I am going to enjoy your company, I mustn't be under the rule of formalities. Can we please just be anything other than king and subject?"

"I'd like that My Lady." He replied in a heartbeat, and she smiled, gesturing for him to sit on the stool beside the bed.

"And call me Amice. My lady is far too unfamiliar." She smirked and he nodded in reply.

"You make your own arrows?"

"I find that nobody can weight them quite to my liking. Plus I enjoy it." Henry was silent. " what about you, oh great king, what do you enjoy?"

"Me? Hunting, and reading I suppose."

"Really? That is what you enjoy most in the world? Not the feel of the air on your face and the drumming of the hooves of your steed as you ride through the Autumn fields. Not the refreshing feeling of chilled water as it ripples around your body in the vast oceans. Not the sound of the frosted grass in winter. But hunting. And reading."

"I suppose nobody has ever expected more of an answer than the one I just gave."

"Well that's not right. You live here all cooped up in your magnificent palace with a silver spoon shoved so far down your throat I'm surprised you haven't choked on it." She choked a laugh at his dumbfounded expression. Henry simply remained silent. Nobody had ever dared speak so callously to him, not even before the crown sat upon his head. And yet, he found himself enjoying her unfiltered sincerity.

"Come on. Take off those silks and put this on. Here. Cover your face. I'll show you the true joys of life." She announced, tearing him from his thoughts as she handed him a bundle of cloth. He didn't question her, somehow trusting this girl he barely knew.

She mimicked his action as she dressed in a hooded cloak, waiting for him to be ready. Once he was, she grabbed him by the hand and lead him silently out of the chamber door. He smiled slightly at his hand in hers, relishing in the sense of adventure such a simple gesture brought.

They raced down the castle halls, weaving through low-set doorways and around spiral staircases until they reached the door to the armoury. They stood silently, concealed from the view of the two guards.

"I'll instruct them to grant us entry." Whispered Henry, about to step out from this hiding spot, but Amices' arm shot out, stopping him.

"Now where's the fun in that?" She muttered back, smiling before grabbing his hand once more and leading him back the way they had come, before taking a sharp left out to the courtyard. Henry followed, silently wondering how she knew how to navigate about the castle with such ease. Once outside, he looked up at the dazzling night sky, the silver gleam of the moon and stars, the cold chill of the air refreshing his lungs.

"I told you." Said Amice softly from beside him as they stood side by side, eyes closed, enjoying the feeling of the icy breeze on their faces.

"Hmm?" Hummed Henry in question.

"There is more to enjoy in the world than just hunting and reading." She finished, a small smile settling on her lips as he opened his eyes to look at her. He didn't know what it was, but there was a freedom about her, a sense of ease he had long forgotten.

They stood for a moment longer, before her eyes finally opened and meet his. She didn't say a word as she wandered over to the blacksmiths station and began to glide her fingertips along the masses of weapons in production. The cold steel bit at her flesh as she did so, and she shuddered, remembering that this cold chill is the last thing some men feel.

"What are you looking for?" Asked Henry as he stood just behind her, analysing her.
She didn't give reply, but simply moved onto the next table, looking through the baskets and chests. Once again he was taken aback by her disregard for the mannerisms that accompany his status, the feeling alien to him. He enjoyed it. Yet, he couldn't help but feel frustrated with her as she turned up empty once more, yet still denied his assistance.

"Let me help you My la- Amice." He stated, his tone conveying his impatience.

"I can manage." She replied bluntly.

"You clearly cannot, you need my help." He stated and she stood from her previously crouched position, before turning to face him eerily slowly.

"I do not need anything from you. I can find what I seek myself. I have had an... oddly entertaining evening, however I think it's best if we now retire. I'll see you in the morning Henry." Her voice was dull and bored, and she didn't let him reply before she resumed her searching. Henry stood, in complete disbelief. Not only had she rejected him so harshly, but she had called him Henry. It felt odd to him, having someone drop the formalities, and dispite her harsh tone he couldn't help the small smirk.

"I trust you can find your way back to your chambers alone." He spoke calmly, already knowing the answer. All he received in reply was a curt nod, so he turned and headed back to his own chambers.

That night, he lay in his bed, replaying his odd encounter with Amice. Her free spirited nature fascinated him, as well as her genuine skill and wisdom. She had a aura of complete none dependence about her, and an almost callous touch to everything she did. When he had returned to his room earlier that evening, his reflection in the metal of this armour plates had astounded him. The worn cloak, the grubby boots and his hair wildly knotted. He looked like a boy again, free from responsibility, able to breathe. All thanks to this bizarre girl, who had, out of nowhere, shown him that there was more to life than just hunting and reading.