Chapter 4: Amber Gaze

-Maddox's POV-

Maddox watched the woman in a black smooth her way through Tony's iron defences. He had never seen Tony smile so brightly towards a stranger. Ms. Lightwood crudely enjoyed her tea after she had just humiliated Alexander Ainsley in front of him. Maddox was aware that Alex was nervous but she was ruthless to call him out like that, and now, she seemed like a nice woman enjoying the sunlight with a cup of tea and good company.

Blair Lightwood who are you truly? He wondered.

"How did you know Mr. Ainsley was nervous?" Maddox asked whilst silently agreeing with them silently that the choice of ginger tea was exceptional.

"His hands and a few other things," she said vaguely.

"Like?" He urged her to continue.

She put her cup down. "Well, first when I shook his hand-" Tony gave her a puzzled look, but Maddox just sipped his tea because his curiosity was answered from earlier; he thought she was either overly bright or the hand-shake was to prove something, he was right. "His pulse was beating faster than normal, and his hands were anxious even though he tried to compose it on his face," she revealed. "But when I felt yours, it was steady."

Maddox grinned. "What else can you tell me about Mr. Ainsley?"

"He holds a lot of anger and resentment," Tony and Maddox looked at her baffled. "Probably towards you, or the whole world," she said conversationally.

"How can you tell?" Tony asked.

She hesitated for a moment and Maddox noticed the flicker in her eyes. "His colour choice," she revealed.

Tony almost dropped the tray. "What does the colour of his clothes have to do with his emotions?"

"Everything, his brown suit paired with a red sports shirt," she said. "His deceptiveness is holding onto his rage." She glanced between the two who were listening very closely. "He's a flight risk." She abruptly got to her two feet after dropping that bomb on them and then said; "Would you mind showing me your office space now?"

Everyone got up and took her towards the sleek metal elevators.

Maddox watched Ms. Lightwood; she was tall and reached his shoulder and the dress did nothing to hide her curvaceous and healthy figure. Her blonde hair swayed in lengthy waves down her back, the heavy mass adored her small face. She had the most striking crystal blue eyes like the ones she wore on her delicate wrist. When he was talking to Mr. Ainsley earlier, he felt a strong gaze piercing his back, he turned to look and had found her staring at him, studying him like a night-owl does its prey.

There was a spontaneous spark that attracted Maddox towards her, but he assumed nothing serious of it since she seemed to have that effect on everyone around her. Maddox in all his days has never met someone like her. She could smile like her heart was made of pure gold, but her eyes hid many secrets or maybe just one and she couldn't hide that from him. He wanted to crack her shell and study her carefully, he wondered more and more about his mysterious interior designer. There was just something about her that drove him over the brink of the edge, he was so used to not caring about others but Ms. Lightwood was something else entirely.

-Blair's POV-

They all reached Mr. Steele's penthouse in mere seconds with the help of the beautiful vintage elevator that had gold molding and crimson red walls. She had to admit that Mr. Steele was different from the usual group of people she meets every day. He was secretive and smart, she could tell that his eyes were on her, he studied her and was probably making his assumptions about her like everyone does. But Blair didn't mind, she was quite pleased that he was curious around her and about her.