Chapter 14: Witch's Smile

Maddox promptly arrived at the cafe in his hotel where he had gotten a text from his sister. He wasn't surprised that his sister came to visit him, he was actually more surprised that she hadn't come sooner. But all of that was insignificant the moment he saw Blair. She paled when she saw him and that displeased him beyond his understanding, usually Maddox had a controlled temper and like to stay level-headed. But when Blair grow stiff once laying eyes on him, he couldn't help but snap. He kicked his employees out of the elevator and he was pretty sure they all hate him now. Although, he didn't care because he got to talk to Blair and clear the air between, well that's what he hoped.

He wasn't avoiding her or disgusted by her like she believed. She told him her secret, the same secret he forced out of her. It was his fault for pushing her and he didn't find any blame in her at all. She had warned him that not everyone could handle her secret, but he still pursued after it, so it was on him to accept her not the other way around. Maddox had to gain her trust now.

"Sir," said a worker behind the cafe counter. "Good afternoon."

"Good afternoon, Jesse," Maddox answered with a smile.

"Would you like usual?" he asked.

"Yeah, thanks." Maddox sauntered into the cafe and maneuvered around the round tables and comfortable leather chairs, he made his way towards the woman sitting beside the long window with her back to him. "Melinda," he called out and a pair of golden green eyes turned to look at him.

His younger sister stood with her arms open and a smile that brightened her youthful complexion. She really did look their mom when she did that. "Maddox," she hugged him close. "I missed you."

"I missed you too." Maddox sat across from her when Jesse brought a caramel latte for him. "Thank, Jesse."

"You're welcome," he said and then his big brown eyes looked at Melinda. "Can I get you anything else?"

"No, thank you Jesse," said Melinda.

Maddox could practically see the young man swoon off his feet and float back to his station. "Why didn't you come to my hotel the day you arrived?" he asked as he sipped his coffee, even though Jesse was overly enthusiastic, he had a knack for brewing coffee.

"Have you seen this town?" she asked sarcastically. "I spent a couple of days just shopping, and then I had to go sight-seeing. My old friend from school also lives here so she took me around town."

"I didn't know you had friends here?"

"I didn't know either," she said. "I saw her after I went to this really pretty shop that sold a lot of trinkets and jewels. Which reminds me-" Melinda grabbed her purse from the chair next to them and pulled out a familiar box. "I got you gift."

"You didn't have to do that," he said.

Melinda pushed a lavender box in front of him and he smiled when he saw the simple black bow and that whimsical logo. "Is everything alright?" she asked when she saw his expression.

"No, it's just that I know this shop really well," he said.

Melinda's eyes narrowed. "What do you mean?"

"Looking Through the Keyhole," he said and untied the bow. "I've been there once."

"The shop was beautiful and so was the owner," she said. "What was her name again?"

"Blair Lightwood," answered Maddox and he regretted it almost immediately.

"Right..." his sister looked at him suspiciously and he knew exactly what she was speculating in her head.