Chapter 16: Stay with Me

"You talked to my father from the spirit realm," said Maddox. "And he told you about the night he died?"

Blair answered for the hundredth time. "Yes, Maddox."

"I still can't believe this," he shook his head.

Blair had taken off her heels and gathered her legs on the couch in the living room where they both were seated on together. She had told him everything from the moment she met him up until now. It was hard for her, but she didn't bother trying to convince him because something told her that she didn't need to do that with Maddox. He may take his time trying to believe she met his dead father, but he believed everything else she told him about her magic and her eccentric family.

Who was Maddox becoming to her? she wondered quietly. He was a force that drove her to reveal a huge part of her life that she had kept secret from everyone. She made friends and many people have come and gone, but Maddox was someone she didn't want leaving from her side. The only way she thought possible for him to leave was if she cut him out of her, and she didn't know if she could do that or if she wanted to.

"I was so scared," she said as she lost herself in that horrible memory of the car accident.

Maddox's liquid gold eyes met her gaze. "Scared of what?" he asked.

"Losing you," she admitted. "When I was in that car with you and your father-" she shook her head like she didn't want to think about it- "the only thing I could think about was getting you to safety," she said. "It was only a memory, but the fear was so...real."

"I know," said Maddox. "If only I pulled him out in time-"

"No, there was no way you could have," she interrupted his brewing guilt. "And your father didn't care for his life. He knew that he wouldn't survive so he pushed you out. And I was so relieved when he did."

Maddox raked his hair. "You really did see him," he stated as he looked in her eyes for the truth, which he saw and it was as clear as day. "How was he?"

Blair was surprised by his question, but she knew that this was the part where Maddox needed closure. He needed to know that it was okay for him to move on and live his life without the burden of the past. "He is well," she answered with a smile. "He is safe where he is and happy that you took care of the family." Maddox's eyes drowned with vulnerability that shattered Blair's heart into a million pieces. "It's going to be alright, Maddox."

He smiled to reassure her that he was alright, but she knew better because the saddest hearts always hid behind a smile.

Blair reached over and wrapped her arms around him. "Your father is at peace, Maddox," she whispered and ran her fingers through his hair. He sank into her embrace and tightened his arms around her.

"Thank you," he said softly.

Blair let go of him and moved to the other end of the couch. "Are you going to tell Melinda all of this?" she asked him unexpectedly.

Maddox jaw tightened. "If you don't want me to, I won't."

"Melinda is very sweet," said Blair. "She reminds me of you."

"Really?" asked Maddox.

"Same smile and easy temper," she told him. "And your auras-"

"You can see auras too?" asked Maddox hurriedly.

"Yes," she answered.