Chapter 22: Mended Hearts

Blair, Anastasia and Holly returned to the house after the sun had fallen behind the town's horizon. They had settled down in the living room after a good shower. All of them were seated on the floor in front of the warm hearth in fluffy, soft pyjamas.

"I'm almost finished," said Blair.

Holly pulled up the long sleeves of the night-clothes she borrowed from Blair. "How are you fixing the crystal, are you using glue?"

Blair chuckled because she actually used an old magic trick to repair the broken crystal. "Magic glue, to be more specific," she teased Holly.

Anastasia appeared from the kitchen with some ice-cream. "Here," she placed the bowl in front of Holly. "I hope you like chocolate."

Holly shyly picked up the spoon. "Thank you," she said as she nibbled on the small treat.

Blair grabbed the last piece of the blue crystal with her tweezers. The gold melted between onto the cracks and Blair carefully put the last piece together. "All done," she held up the necklace and examined her nifty work.

Holly grabbed the gem. "It's so beautiful," she said. "The gold looks so pretty with the blue."

Anastasia leaned forward to steal a glimpse. "It does," she added. "Good job, Blair."

"Thank you. I worked really hard," Blair rubbed her sore shoulder.

Anastasia chuckled and lent Blair a hand with the sore shoulder. "Must've been so hard fixing a crystal," she said with her voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Do you two always live like this?" asked Holly.

Blair and Anastasia shared a puzzled expression.

"Must be nice," said Holly. "No one's here to tell you what to do or be mean because you didn't listen."

Anastasia's expression darkened like Blair's.

"I didn't always live like this," said Blair and the she lightened the mood. "Don't worry too much for your age, Holly. Or it'll give you wrinkles and grey hair."

Holly yawned. "I try not to," she said nonchalantly.

"Hold on-" Anastasia perked her head up- "don't you have school tomorrow?"

Holly nodded. "Yeah, I do."

"Shouldn't you be in bed?" asked Blair.

"Probably," added Holly.

"We would suck at raising kids," Anastasia snickered with Blair. "Come on, kid. Let's take you to bed." Holly followed Anastasia up to the spare bedroom leaving Blair all alone on the warm rug.

The doorbell suddenly went off in the house interrupting Blair's wine break. Blair got to her feet and peeked through the window first where she caught a sight of a dark sports car and a very familiar figure.

Blair grabbed her robe, tied the sash and then opened the front door. She propped her hip on the door. "What can I do for you this late?" she asked with a smirk.

Maddox's amber eyes gleamed. "It's only nine o'clock," he said.

Blair couldn't help but smile whenever he was with her. "So, what brings you by?"

"I came to see my girlfriend," he answered bluntly. "I even brought cake."

"Welcome to Lightwood residence," said Blair as she grabbed the cute box from Bates Bakery and let Maddox inside. He followed her closely but he's already been in the house, so he went to the living room on his own as Blair tread into the kitchen for a plate and some forks.