𝒔𝒉𝒆𝒅

I sat at the dining room table eating the lunch I had made thinking of Gabbie. I watched my mother go back and forth getting her things in order to leave for work.

My mind shifted to the boy in my room who had been there all day. I wondered what he could be possibly doing. Wouldn't he be bored and come down stairs by now? It was already Five in the afternoon and he was up early this morning.

"Why don't you take that boy out that house? Maybe take him to see a movie or get him something to eat." My mother asked handing me a few bills.

"I don't think he wants to leave the house. He seems.." I stopped myself. maybe he didn't want people to know he was sad..should I respect that?

"He's not weird honey he has a different situation going on in his life." My mother said finishing my sentence. Though she didn't know that wasn't my intent to call him weird.

"I'll take him out." I said as she walked out the door to work. I ran upstairs peaking in my room. He sat upright on the floor wrapped in a blanket his phone beside him. He struggled to keep his eyelids from falling I could see him battling sleep.

"You wanna go out?"

his eyes widened but he didn't turn his head but nodded. "That'd be nice." His voice came out raspy and small.

_

I took Zach to the pond hidden in the woods behind my house. Not many people knew it was there only the few teens who grew up here. The few boys and one girl I used to spend all my time with during my elementary and middle school days.

when highschool started my friends and I drifted. We all made different friends and developed.

I missed having friends but maybe I could make one with Zach.

I went to the small shed that was abandoned there. It had posters and writing on the wall from two years ago. I turned on the lights and sat down in my marked bean bag chair.

"It's amazing in here. You did this yourself?"

"A few of my friends helped too but I'm the only one who comes by."

"I love it jack."

the next few days zach and I spent our hours in the shed. Zach would sleep in the mornings until I came back from work and I would bring us snacks and things to do in the shed.

We didn't get to know eachother too well. I looked over at him while he sat outside of the shed watching the sun set over the pond.
I sat on the grass beside him. "How many siblings do you have?" I asked quietly though we were the only ones around.

"I have a younger brother and sister.reese and Ryan." He said at a low volume.

"You know school starts soon right?" I asked but he ignored me

"Do you have a favorite hobbie? Like painting for something?

He shook his head indicating he did not. I don't know what to ask anymore so i looked to the sunset.

I began to think of my favorite hobbie and slowly realized I didn't really have one that was special either. "I like day drinking." I blurted out too keep the conversation going.

Suddenly he began to giggle. I turned and looked at him with wide eyes as his laughs got louder. Suddenly he was laughing so much he had to cover his own mouth. "hey! What's so funny?!" I asked confused.

"Day drinking? You're idiotic. He laughed jokingly. It was the first time he smiled since he came into my life. He grinned at me with a perfect smile before looking at the sun at its golden hour.

this moment was kinda beautiful if only I could've shared it with gabby. If only she wasn't still mad at me. "You should smile more often you have a nice one." I breathed out.

"I hate it." He said as his eyes averted to the floor.

"Is that why I haven't seen you smile since you got here?" I questioned waiting for him to look at me but he never did. "I haven't had a reason to smile. I'm at the lowest point of my life."

Suddenly the mood shifted when he was so honest. "we all have to go through the lowest point in our lives at one point."

he nodded as one single tear treaded down his skin that was golden from the sun. His eyes fell shut and stayed shut while he let out a shaky breath. "You must like how I look. You stare at me a lot."

"Does it bother you?"

"No."

______________________

cute hahah 🥺