Chapter 5

Staring up at the roof Jersey does his best not to cry. He doesn't want anyone to know how much this is hurting him. He wishes his dad could've spent more time away when he was little. That way he'd be able to stay now. He's worried his dad will miss his graduation and he's so afraid that something bad will happen to him out there. He doesn't want his dad to get hurt in any way. "Hey light out bubble." Dylan stands at the door looking down at her son. He tries his best to hide his face but he knows that his mama will know somethings wrong even before she sees him. "What's wrong love?" She sits on his bed. He didn't want to cry but when his mama comes he always does.

"I don't want him to get hurt. He's gonna her hurt." Jersey wheels but Dylan can't follow. Though her husbands departure has been the only thing on her mind for so long in this moment she can't even think of it. It's the last thing to come to mind and even then she doesn't think that's his reasoning.

"Who love? Who's gonna get hurt?" She squeezes him close in attempt to comfort him. She doesn't know what else to do. Her boy likes cuddles so she cuddles him but he doesn't like much else he barely allows the cuddles.

"Dad. He's gonna get hurt when he leaves or, or worse he'll get killed." He wheels against his moms shoulder. "Mama I don't want him to go." He pleads and she sighs playing with his hair. She does what she always does to Angel when she's nervous.

"I know you don't love. No one does but he wants to so we've gotta support him." She explains and Jersey cries harder. He doesn't know what to do anymore. He can't support his dad in this insane mission idea but he knows that he couldn't stop it from happening. If his mama can't stop him then no one will be able to. He's worried that when he comes back he won't want them around. He's scared that his dad is gonna be nervous all of the time and they'll never do anything. He's on the football team and Shawn loves watching his games. He went to every single one never missed a single game all season. His mama did her best but sometimes she had work so she misses a few not many but a few. He's really good at football and he's been planning on applying for the scholarships. He wants his dad in the crowd when he's getting scouted. He can't imagine him not being there to watch.

"I can't mama. I don't want him to leave. So many bad things can happen to him." He pleads his mama begging her to help him change his dads mind.

"I know love but that's just how it is. We can't always agree with him. He's made it too clear that regardless he's going to do this. I don't want to stand in the way of him and what he wants to do. He'll still call us sometimes and he'll send us letters." She rubs his back. "I know it's not what you want to hear baby. Believe me I'm not thrilled about it either but we just have to hope that when he comes home it's not all so different."  She sighs. She knows he'll be different the question is how. She doesn't know if it'll be the same as last time or if he'll get better. She does know that once he's gone she'll have to start preparing the kids for the worst.

"Isn't there something we could," Dylan shakes her head. "There not even someone we could," she shakes her head again and he sighs. "What if he dies?" He whispers to his mama. "What happens if one day we're waiting for the phone to run or we get back from grocery shopping or school or wherever and we get someone knocking on our door to say that my dad died because he was stubborn and didn't stay home with us?" She sighs pulling him in closer.

"I've already gotten that once before." She sighs hugging her son. "They thought you're dad died about every fifteen minutes in his old platoon. He called lots because he had so much free time because he was always getting stitches. He's covered in his army scars and I told him when he came home the last time he went that I wanted to hear all of the stories. He told me all about the scars and why and where they came from. He told me all of the stories and I hated him for it. I was so mad that he talked about it but I loved hearing the stories he had to tell me. I told him that I loved his scars but that they were all he was ever allowed to have." Jersey gives a confused look and she smiles. "The point is your dad is very passionate about everything he's been doing. And this is just another one of those things that he's passionate about." She shrugs. "We can't stop your dad from doing something that he's decided to do. Once he's set his mind to it there's nothing anyone can do to change it." She runs her fingers through her baby boys hair. Now come on why don't you tell your dad how you feel?"