Chapter 33

"Bubba?" Dylan hums softly. She doesn't mean to wake him from his nap but she has a surprise for him. She's spent years working on this and this whole thing and after their talk the other day she sped up the process. She's been working really hard on this and they got their results right away. She's never been so exited. "Shawn baby?" She whispers kissing his cheek in another attempt to wake him up. "Baby you need to wake up." She shakes him gently. "Shawn!" She yells softly and he jumps turning to face her quickly.

"Yes? What's wrong?" He blinks staring at her smile. "My god bubble you scared me!" He sighs pulling her into his chest. "What's up?"

"I have a surprise for you? How are you feeling?" She hums getting on top of him.

"I'm still pretty tired." He yawns pressing his lips against hers. "But I'll come down if you want me to." He nods sitting up more.

"I'll bring my surprise up here. Just sit tight for a minute?" She hums and he nods. She runs down the stairs and he chuckles sitting up straighter waiting for her to bring anything in. Generally when she has a surprise for him it's something she got for him but in a twisted way for herself. She'll buy him clothes that she liked so he'll wear them and she can steal them all. Or a car she she likes so that when he drives her places she's comfortable and she knows there's enough space in the back seat. He's always excited for her surprises though he just likes to see the look on her face when she hands him something he barely wanted. "Well babe," she smiles waving someone towards their bedroom. "Surprise!" She giggles running towards him and sitting on the bed. "Shawn these are your parents." She giggles kissing his cheek.

"What?" He turns to her quickly and watches her smile fade. "You found my parents?" He stares. He's turned into a board his voice at the same monotone level his head cocked only slightly his breathing pattern slowed. He's barely blinking.

"Yes? You were talking about wanting to meet them." She whispers leaning into his chest while the two people just stand at the door staring.

"You're so beautiful. We were supposed to get pictures every year but you disappeared when you were fourteen and we didn't know if we'd ever get to see you again." She ran every background check possible on these people. She even made them send her copies of the pictures so that she could compare it to the ones they have in the house.

"Bubba they really are your parents. Why don't you say hi?" The kids are at school so she thought it would be the perfect time.

"Why did you give me away?" Is all he manages to whisper. He has no other words for these people. He wishes he could've been the lucky kid who would be adopted but once he hit ten he knew no one would ever want him. His foster homes were torture and having usually somewhere around five or six foster siblings at a time he wasn't ever given much attention. He has more PTSD from his childhood than he could ever have from the war.

"We didn't want to but we were young and stupid. You were an innocent little child we didn't know how to take care of a baby. We weren't ready." She explains handing him a picture. Just a small wallet sized picture. "I carry it around with me." She mumbles embarrassed. "I was eighteen your father was nineteen. We would've loved to have kept you but you were just so little. We couldn't have kept you in our care knowing your life would've been miserable." She sighs shawn starts to develop a twitch and he looks more angry than she's ever seen him.

"My life was miserable anyways!" He growls grabbing his cane. The prosthetic takes too long to get on. She watches how quickly he hops out of the room and she listens to a door slam. She knows exactly where he is.

"I'm sorry I thought he would be more excited. Maybe we can try another time." Dylan nods leading his parents to the door.

"He's gorgeous Dylan. Would you tell him I said that? And that I've missed him every day since we let him go?" She pleads.