Apologize

I'm holding on your rope
Got me ten feet off the ground
And I'm hearing what you say
But I just can't make a sound
You tell me that you need me
Then you go and cut me down
But wait...
You tell me that you're sorry
Didn't think I'd turn around and say..

"Jeff, what else do you want me to say? I said I was sorry. Don't do this. Don't end it like this!" she said, in tears, nearly screaming across the parking lot.

Jeff stopped in his tracks and clinched his teeth for a minute before he mustered up the strength to turn around and face the woman he had given nearly a decade of his life to. He heard the sounds coming from her lips, but for the first time in a while, it truly fell on deaf ears. He was tired of the excuses, tired, of being treated like a lap dog and tired of being used, like some marionette doll. He let a small smile linger on his face before he spoke yet again. Something she wasn't prepared for him to say and something he didn't know he had the strength to let slip off his tongue.

"Beth, baby. It's too late for that shit." he replied, scratching his forehead. "It's over!" he bellowed, almost as loudly as she had spoken to him.

That it's too late to apologize, it's too late
I said it's too late to apologize, it's too late

With that, he turned back around and without a care in the world, he let his feet take him inside the hotel. He could finally breath a sigh of relief, as the attendant handed him his key card and he walked to the elevators. It was something that was so long overdue, but at the same time, it was a little bittersweet, or at least in his eyes it was.

He threw his bag on the floor and flopped on the bed. Tonight was more than he had bargained for, and after returning home, it hadn't got much better. Instead, his day had only progressively gotten worse, ending with the huge blow out with his live-in girlfriend.

He threw himself back on the bed an allowed his mind to carry him through the entire 9 years of hell he had endured with Beth. It was clear to every one apparently, except for him, that he was used and was like a puppet on strings. He was there for her, no matter what the stakes or how much it costed. As long as she got her way, everything was smooth sailing. It took him a while to notice, but over the last few years of the relationship, he had finally came around to understanding what his brother had meant.

I was so stupid! How could I have let this happen? How could I have let her run my life? For 9 fucking years!

It was true, at one time, he did need her. She was there for him during his WWE career, when he was released, when he went to TNA, when he quit TNA and now, when he decided to travel on the road once more with the WWE. He was there for the family dinners, Christmases, Thanksgivings, Easters at his dad's house. It was true. At one time, Beth was his life, his sun, his moon, his stars. His everything. Tonight, he just simply put a stop to that and got his life back. He would always care for her and while he at one point was in love with her, the feelings had slowly went downhill, leading to their break-up.

He had been in a depression for many years, but it never really bothered him enough to take medication, not until around the time he was released from the WWE. When she had started to harass and threatened she was leaving if his work schedule didn't lighten up some. He started arriving late for shows, for family functions, for his own damn birthday party, all because of her. He let the relationship with his dream job and his family slip away because she would constantly nag and bark in his ear that she was his family. They had a nice comfortable nest egg to build a future and their own family on, she would tell him.

Of course, he listened, because it made sense, at least at the time. Now, he looked back and resented ever treating his family the way he did. He felt horrible for putting his career on the back burner. They had discussed early on in their relationship that a family would come once they were both ready and once he was touring less with wrestling. Instead, she would threatened him that she would leave if things didn't go her way.